Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchasing from the United States and bring home in suitcase

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Look I have no idea if this sounds as retarded as I think it does but please bear with me lol. I’ve never ventured overseas so please be gentle :boxing:

My partner and I are venturing over to Las Vegas for my first OS trip .... (not a bad place to start i thought lol) and I was just interested to know what the deal is with bring products home in your suitcase.
What I am thinking of bring home is some home theatre speakers. They are in wall speakers so they will easily fit in the case. And because we are going to the US we are able to take 2 x 23kg bags each so I thought instead of packaging and sending separately why can’t I just bubble wrap the crap out of them and put them in my suitcase. Does anyone see any issue that could arise from me doing so?
I would prefer to stay away from receiving a cavity search that’s all hahahaha. :spew:

Cheers & thanks in advance
Scott

I will be calling customs later today to confirm but just thought if anyone else had does something similar......

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
If they're legal you shouldn't have a problem. Only thing is you may be asked to remove them so they can be inspected separately just incase you have anything stashed inside. Other than that just declare them at customs and say they are worth less than (I think) $1000.

Edit: I took a heap of plastering hand tools in and out of Baghdad airport and they all look as if they are blades items. Only trouble I got was once (when I was leaving Baghdad) when they asked me to take them out to check them. All was good so they let me through.

That place is dodgy too.. Coming IN to the country placing your bags on the scanner was optional (most people just walked past it and the woman watching the screen was too busy talking to someone) but leaving I had my bags scanned 4 times, was patted down twice (both times getting my balls cupped) and had a sniffer dog go over my bags once. It was almost as if they welcomed terrorist and illegal activities into the country and then discouraged them to leave!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
You should be fine to have it in your check-in baggage. Only thing to keep in mind is that speakers are usually quite heavy and exceeding the allowed weight is usually quite pricey.

Only other thing I can think off is hold on to the receipt. Just in has, in the extremely off chance, they want proof of purchase so the know they are not stolen or something.

Other than that, have fun.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Cheers thanks heaps Troy, made my day lol.

Yeah all legal and well below the 1k mark. Thats the reason I am looking at purchasing from over there. @ $600 for a pair here and $260 a pair over there its a no brainer lol.

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
You should be fine to have it in your check-in baggage. Only thing to keep in mind is that speakers are usually quite heavy and exceeding the allowed weight is usually quite pricey.

Only other thing I can think off is hold on to the receipt. Just in has, in the extremely off chance, they want proof of purchase so the know they are not stolen or something.

Other than that, have fun.

Good point Jest, and in regards to the carry on, I can put them into my second bag with allowance for 23kg. Going from the V Aus website if traveling on a long haul flight to the United States each person’s allowance is 2 x 23kg bags plus 7kg carry on.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Good point Jest, and in regards to the carry on, I can put them into my second bag with allowance for 23kg. Going from the V Aus website if traveling on a long haul flight to the United States each person’s allowance is 2 x 23kg bags plus 7kg carry on.

Jesus! They are bloody good with their checking allowance then! You have a special membership with them or something???

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
Baggage.jpg

I was just going by the V Aus website. From what I read there it says 2 pieces up to 23kg each. Unless Im reading it wrong. I best check with them first I guess lol. Its only 2 x because of the US, everywhere else it is 1 x

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
That's pretty good. Yeah I was surprised whenever I flew international it was only 1x per passenger. But I have never flown to the US.

Then yeah, looks like you will be sweet!

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
just on phone now to confirm lol. you got me stressing now hahaha.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Just check they will allow you to take them on the plane. Because they are a magnetic device, they may be restricted.