Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pushing small hose into the overflow reservoir

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I pulled the small hose connecting the radiator cap to the overflow reservoir tank. I managed to push it back in to a certain extent but cannot go all the way. I can't seem to be able to get it into the reservoir any further (please see pic).
DSC_2185(1).jpg

How can i get back in properly to make sure the hose is all the way to the base of the reservoir?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
They tend to swell with age , try using some washing up liquid to lubricate the hose or if memory serves me correct the hose is inserted though a rubber grommet in the bottle . Pull the grommet out and pull the hose through and push the grommet back in using a blunt tool

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
They tend to swell with age

Thanks Dayvo :)

yes, it has a rubber grommet. But access is not easy (for me) to put the grommet back in.

Can I use a silicon spay on the outside of the hose to lubricate it?

I wonder if I could buy a brand new hose instead.
Does anyone know where to get it from? What ID it is? Would Repco have it?

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Silicon spray would be ok or as you said drive down to repco and get them to check if they have it inn stock .

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Agreed, pull the grommet out, slide the hose through as far as you can and then try refitting it to the bottle that way.

I cleaned my overflow last week, installed new hose and pushed the grommet into the bottle. Had to take the bottle back out, retrieve the grommet and do it that way myself, lol..

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
as you said drive down to repco and get them to check if they have it inn stock .

Thanks again Dayvo :)

I checked the size of the nipple (next to radiator cap) with my tape measure and I thought it was 10mm. I called repco before going there. I asked him to look it up on the computer but, according to him, could not find the size of the hose (based on the model, year, etc.). I told him it would be either 8mm or 10mm and he replied that they do not have any water hoses in mm - only inches. The nearest one would be 3/8" which is 95mm. I was concerned about it not be able to fit the radiator nipple. The next size up, according to him, was 1/2" which is too big for both. When I asked him about the price he said some $17 something per m. Some of these in the shop are just kids! Called supercheap and she could not work out the size either (from the comp) and asked me what I wanted. I asked her if she had the 10mm one in stock and yes it was.
Before driving there (10minutes drive), i applied the silicon spray on the old one which worked for about 10mm and could not push it any further. tried few time and no luck. Gave up, and bought the 10mm one. They asked me the length (they sell it in 0.5m increments) I said 1m - it was $5 something.
Got home, took the old one out. It was swollen really bad. The difference in outside diameter compared to the new one was few mm (inside dia is the same). No wonder nothing was working. Cut the new hose and I managed to push it without a sweat.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Glad to hear its all fixed . Some of the salespeople are pretty usless . If they are not sure of converting inches to mm they could google it . I asked the guy at "cheaper soup" for some wiper blades for my wifes car and he couldn't even work it out using the chart .