Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Qantas

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The only two Qantas planes I've flown on were both very old with oil stained wings :p but looked to be well mantained (hey they didn't skimp on oil and grease : ) ) one very old original model 747 smelled very strongly of fuel (Kero) inside the plane. That was just my experience and may have been just the two crapest planes in the fleet. However compared to the current latest specs planes Japan airlines allways have I prefer to fly with them. I do see the media bashing against Qantas as just that, similar to the bashing that in the end sent Ansett broke and it doesn't seem fair. I'm pretty paranoid about flying and really the only time you can get me on a plane is a 747, I figure they can loose two engines and still get me home :) I heard Reaper has a similar theory on flying :p

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
The only two Qantas planes I've flown on were both very old with oil stained wings :p but looked to be well mantained (hey they didn't skimp on oil and grease : ) ) one very old original model 747 smelled very strongly of fuel (Kero) inside the plane. That was just my experience and may have been just the two crapest planes in the fleet. However compared to the current latest specs planes Japan airlines allways have I prefer to fly with them. p

JAL, safe? maybe now, but must of its fleet is short haul and its planes, including 747s do incredible numbers of flights and was one factor in which led to: Japan Airlines Flight 123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
i think to get the best perspective on all this "744driver" could give some valuable insight, he does fly for the big red roo..

I think he's a P plater mate. Not a jet pilot.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Yeah you're dead on Gregg, the Catalina flights were specially chartered flights, not normal fare paying routes, but a fatality is still a fatality.

Eventhough shorthaul flights are potentially a bit more dangerous than longhaul, flying is still safer than driving a car, catching a bus or a train. Due to the very nature of shorthaul, which includes a considerable amount of extra climb and descent cycles compared to the longhaul, this stresses the structure of the fuelage considerably more frequently, which can lead to premature ageing and failure of components. The Aloha Airlines flight where the clapped out 727 got turned into a convertible, pops into mind as a good example of this.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
flying is still safer than driving a car,.

Yeh, if you randomly selected a driver and got in with them and asked them to drive, that would be true.
However in reality, it depends whose car it is and who is driving it.....especially if we are comparing it with a 40 year old 727 being flown out of calgary at -30C in heavy snow.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
JAL, safe? maybe now, but must of its fleet is short haul and its planes, including 747s do incredible numbers of flights and was one factor in which led to: Japan Airlines Flight 123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know about the big stack, I figure you have one bad one you'll be twice as careful next time. One reason why I think Qantas are a bit slack. They' have been luckier than they perhaps should have been. The JAL planes are allways immaculate and if you were to die on one it's better to die looking at 20 fine looking Japanese hostesses than the typical gay male hostess on Qantas :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i think greenfoam meant, japan planes are crap, and that the two worst planes in the qantas fleet are better than the best planes in a japanese fleet

I think if you read that you are on drugs