Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quadrajet mod to run strait gas

ported

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk calias
I have a vk running a 308 and gas (i dont bother with petrol anymore)
So i decided that the standard quadrajet looked way to restrictive and cause im no longer going to need petrol all i need is a basic throutle body
What i did was to take out the top two butterflyes, there is one hole that needs to be pluged so a npt pipe plug should take carew of that.
You can see here with out the top butterflys
Image002.jpg

Looks alot more free flowing to me
Image004.jpg

And the hole that needs to be pluged where the buterfly shaft was, the other side is fine cause isnt a though hole. Also had to chop off a bit so i can get in there to plug it
Image003.jpg

I am also thinking about die griding out the insert things in the primary throghts (dunno what there called but you can see them in the pics)
Thoughts??

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
the top butterflys are for the choke.
if you remove the venturi tubes (the twin rings in the primary side) it will help with flow.

in my opionion is recomend going gas reasearch

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
i dont think you will go into the galliries but you will need to plug up the hole where the fuel used to come out of or you wil be sucking in are from the fuel bowl

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
there is a vent for the top of the fuel bowl thats there for emmisions. that will need to be pluged. the idle jet maby?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Over 10 years ago I saw a Quadrajet cut in half for a gas only vehicle. It was basically only the butterflies. The guy who did it spent loads of time on it. He was then able to use a high rise manifold and have an Impco mixer on top of the carby, all under the bonnet.

ported

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk calias
I actually though of doing that and may still. I would have to use the bottom peice get rid off the middle and top peices. Then make up a top peice by turning up a peice of ally and borings out the troats to the same size as the butterflys, then use a die grider to smooth out the top.