Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about a diff ratio :S

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
first is almost useless to me now, i only use it to get the car moving and get a little bit of pace before going into second...maybe i might put in a 3.08 or whatever it is..eh, im a little while away from doing diff gears so i'll have a think about it

cheers mate:)

cummo14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais
sorry to barge in guys but i have a vz calais 190kw "auto" with the 2.87 gears, if i was too change them for 3.46 would my 0-100 speed increase by much?? to be honest i just want to be a bit quicker than other stock calais and sv6's lol :)

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I'll be changing mine from 2.87 to a 3.89. Hoping for a better jump off the line and better clutch kicks in 2nd. It should actually help my fuel economy to be honest, because the engine will be less laboured in 6th gear. thats the theory. Also to get a LSD that actually works would be nice.

W45H1NGT0N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
cummo14: hey man yeh you'll notice a change in your launches, it will feel alot different but the actual time might only go down by 1/2 a second.

If you guys are going for 3.46's try a secondhand set so long as they dont have alot of k's on them they should be fine, but if your going for anything bigger 3.7, 3.9, 4.11's you'll have to go brand new as they are more prone to breaking when they end up as a second hand set.

BTW: theres a diff gear & speed ratio 'calculator' also one for changing rim and tyre size, floating around (google i think) that open up in an excel spread sheet. These 'calculators' are extremely helpful if you ever want to change your diff gears or get different rims/tyres

if you would like a copy of the 2 calculators PM me your email address ad ill send them to you

PackaMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive & 2005 VZ Sv6
i got a vz sv6 man and it use to hav 2.87 diff ratio but i change it to 3.46

2.87 @ 100 kmh 1800rpm in 6th
3.46 @ 100 kmh 2200rpm in 6th

i get bought 45kmh to 50 kmh out of 1st, makes a big difference to the vehicle lot of fun to drive

VX&VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX & VE SS
Hi guy's I mainly do hi way k's
if I was to change my diff ratio from 3.07 in my VX SS auto to a 2.87 out of a Vz am I able to recalibrate my cluster to suit

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss thunder Ute l98 6-speed 6ltr
Cummo14 can I get those 2 calculator sites. Email: [email protected], I’m trying to find a good ratio for my t56 l98 thunder Ute, I got beaten by boss 340 Ford the other day, not happy

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss thunder Ute l98 6-speed 6ltr
Thanks, any thoughts on lifters, I’m at 130000kms and was thinking tie bar rods or a mate offered to sell me comp roller rockers used once for $300. I just got new twin 3” system and getting wet injection nos in 3 weeks and a tune, so any idea on what I could do before the no’s and tune