Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about headgasket

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Ok let's say you have a car that has a badly warped cylinder head but the headgasket isn't leaking and could potentially still last another 20,000ks so why is it that if you undid the head, cleaned everything perfectly and put it back together it would then leak?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If the head is warped, the head gasket will blow. The seal relies on both the block and head surfaces being flat and finished correctly for the gasket type.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I understand that what i'm saying is why isn't it already leaking? the only reason i can think of is that overtime carbon builds up and kind of seals where the clearence is

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Incorrect tension sequence?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Because head gasket has bowed same way as head & glue material sealing it all together still intact...tick tick tock.

Once break that seal & try to put back together it wont work as head,block deck & new gasket will all be different shapes unless machined again.

That's why they say if it's stuffed but still working fine don't mess with it.

Like auto with burnt out & clutches that still worked ok untill fluid change....