Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about logic and buying a VE

beattun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Just wanted to put this out and get some views,

I'm currently running around in a VZ Wagon, only gets about 150 kms a week use as I'm an interstate truck driver so I just drive form home to the depot and back once a week, have two dogs, and thinking of starting a family though so the obvious choice is a wagon, I really want an SS VE Sportwagon and my price range is around about the 30 mark.

Now, I cant really find much in the SS or SSV wagons from 2008 - 2010 for much under 31 - 35 grand, and there I see a brand new SS ute selling for 36 grand at the moment.

I'm not asking people should I buy the ute or buy a wagon, I'm just wondering have other people come into such situations and what decisions have they made?

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
well both the ute and wagon can carry the dogs, but only one will carry kids..

have you looked in the sportwagon? i think it will be a bit smaller in the rear compared to your VZ proper wagon.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Im sorry to say, you will be hard pressed to start a family with 2 dogs, people will talk and **** :)
BTW, if your that close to your dogs, you would allready know they would prefer the ute.

beattun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Cant really put the dogs in the ute, theyve never been in a ute and one of them is a bit stupid so Id prefer not to have a hanging dead dog on the freeway, with regards to the Sportwagon size its just big enough for the job, I was kinda hoping the missus might upgrade her 2001 golf to something for carting a family around so I could just get a ute for my work commute and my own personal enjoyment (hence the SS) but she's not keen to get rid of the golf, tried to talk her into taking over the VZ no go lol

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Buy the SS ute, when the ruggies are at foot she will soon see good reason to update the golf to a SS Sportwagon ;)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hilux CrewCab + Tray Back with Dog Cages.

Best of both worlds....just not oerly fast :p

beattun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Highly practical suggestion, but not suitable to my early onset of mid life crisis lol

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Missus will change her mind first time she tries to do the shopping with the rug rats, a pram, and the groceries. As for prices yeah they hold value better than sedans cos there are less of them around. Just depends on your budget, and plans for any mods. If you want to mod it then no need for a new one with warranty

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Also consider your timeframe, when the VF comes out your $36k ute will be in your driveway for $30k or less

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Depends if you want to go dealer or private mate.

Rough trade in price from a used car dealer for the vz maybe 5k (condition sensitive). If its over 150,000 probably less.

I was searching for ssv wagons only a couple of months ago and found some around your 30k budget but they were pruvate. I ended up selling my car (vy) private for 7k, when then boosted the budget a bit so i could get a 2010 ssv sedan.

I loved the wagons, but right at the time when i had all my monies and needed a car i just couldnt find one.

My best bit of advice would be wait a while until the new commy comes out and you should be able to grab an 2010,11 or even 12 for around 30k