Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about modified intakes

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
Hi, I have a 2011 3.0L SIDI. I have seen numerous intake kits available, and at the minimum it looks like I could replace the resonator tube with a simple right angles tube to get better intake noise. My question is, for either DIY mods or I take kits, what do you do about the MAF Sensor or the other little right-angled line going in just ahead of the throttle body (I think its the PCV line)?

Last edited:

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
Update: I think the right-angled line I'm talking about is the PCV tube.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Why do people have to change the intake plumbing ?, as it was designed the way its installed.
it will effect the MAF, PCV, etc, etc, and may even cause MIL to activate if its not suited
what's the point of spending money on something that is already working correctly that is under the bonnet that no-one see's everyday,
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
The resonator boxes have the sole purpose of reducing intake noise. I want to increase the intake noise for my own driving enjoyment.

I am also asking, in general, what do the aftermarket intake kits do about the MAF sensor and PCV valve?

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
The resonator boxes have the sole purpose of reducing intake noise. I want to increase the intake noise for my own driving enjoyment.

I am also asking, in general, what do the aftermarket intake kits do about the MAF sensor and PCV valve?

You will find the Helmholtz chamber improve volumetric efficiency of the air intake as well as less sound. Remove it or install one not designed for your engine and you lose this. Seems pointless just to get louder intake sound

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
You will find the Helmholtz chamber improve volumetric efficiency of the air intake as well as less sound. Remove it or install one not designed for your engine and you lose this. Seems pointless just to get louder intake sound

That's a good point, I wasn't aware of that. So aftermarket cold air intakes that replace the resonator chamber lose this efficiency gain - do you think overall they would decrease power and/or fuel economy due to this?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I want to increase the intake noise for my own driving enjoyment...
Which may annoy others, sound worse than it currently does or drone and give you a headache on a long drive. You could also possibly risk a defect notice for the privilege.

Spending money modifying a depreciating asset isn’t best use of funds (unless you own your own place, have excess funds and enjoy working on cars). But usually the cycle is you mod, to the point it’s not a nice daily drive. Then you decide to sell, loosing all the monies spent on mods plus a heap more. That’s if it sells as many buyers don’t want modded cars. The cycle ends when you finally buy something more suited to your preference :p Been there, done that, learnt :rolleyes:

Enjoy the car for what it is, keep it clean and well maintained. Heck, learn to correctly detail and maintain it yourself (if you don’t already know).

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
Which may annoy others, sound worse than it currently does or drone and give you a headache on a long drive. You could also possibly risk a defect notice for the privilege.

Spending money modifying a depreciating asset isn’t best use of funds (unless you own your own place, have excess funds and enjoy working on cars). But usually the cycle is you mod, to the point it’s not a nice daily drive. Then you decide to sell, loosing all the monies spent on mods plus a heap more. That’s if it sells as many buyers don’t want modded cars. The cycle ends when you finally buy something more suited to your preference :p Been there, done that, learnt :rolleyes:

Enjoy the car for what it is, keep it clean and well maintained. Heck, learn to correctly detail and maintain it yourself (if you don’t already know).

Thanks for your input, but I'm confident of what I'm after, it's just how to get there that's the question. I'm not talking about removing mufflers here, just getting a bit more induction noise so that I can hear the engine better. I look for this opportunity in all my cars, if it doesn't compromise other properties. I have been down the modding road before (Inc. Full engine swaps and rebuilds), but these days I look for minor tweaks that can get me a good compromise

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, you can not tell a poster’s experience or age from a few post.

Great that you have skill and can safely mod. You’d be aware of the road and modification rules and that unboxed pod filters or too much induction noise will defect your vehicle. But it’s your choice which way you go.

Have you looked at the induction noise enhancer in the Motorsport? It basically a pipe that plumbs the intake into the cabin (obviously through a couple of gaskets across the pipe work to stop fumes entering the cabin). It allows the induction noise to be heard better.

As to exhaust, wasn’t considering or commenting on that. Just like exhaust systems, get the induction plumbing wrong and it can be annoying in a similar droning way :rolleyes:

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
That's a good point, I wasn't aware of that. So aftermarket cold air intakes that replace the resonator chamber lose this efficiency gain - do you think overall they would decrease power and/or fuel economy due to this?

Properly designed cold air intakes, like a quality otr one, achieve better as they are able to charge the air pressure directly into the intaketwith colder air and less turbulence.
But without other mods they are fairly pointless in my opinion.