Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about muffler systems

J

jayderichards

hi all,

I took my car to the exhaust place the other day to get my exhaust manifold welded and the guy found a hole in my muffler. I have a full sports system (so l've been told) and l have this pissy little hole in the muffler and wanted to know what can l do to get rid of this hole without replacing the entire system. I've been quoted $120 for a new muffler, but l don't know how much about mufflers and don't want to get ripped off or lose the sound of my car.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
the cheap way is to go to kmart/ repco and get an exhaust bandage there are a few different types you can get.
all you do is put it on run the car at adle for about 20 mins o seal it and your done!

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
$120 sounds a tad hi but it depends on what they are fitting. I had to get mine replaced a few months back and they charged $100 for a straight thru glass pack 2 1/2" sports muffler.

J

jayderichards

is the muffler 'bandaid' legal or will it affect getting your car's rego?

Yes l thought the price was a little exessive considering that there is a hole the size of a 10/20 cent piece in the muffler.

I think he was trying to charge me for a stock muffler. I'll contact him and post what he says.

Thank you again!

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
totaly legal i had a mechanic tell me to get it for rego.

ryand

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
weld a bit of sheet metal to it...cheapest fix i reckon

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
i recently had a hole in my muffler and the exhaust guy wanted $200 to replace it (stock vs exhaust). I drove away with a 2.5in sports exhaust for $300

J

jayderichards

l've got a full sports kit already, and as l said before l want to keep it. I love the grunt of my car.

That's what l thought Ryand... It was a little bit strange that he just pointed it out and told me it needed to be replace. I know the guy ain't trying to screw me over, but if something has a cheaper fix than what he wants... then l'll do that for the time being until l can afford to throw $300 on a muffler l want.