Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about [Older] Battery Chargers ....

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
With it sitting for 5 days and end up with a dead flat new battery, either that new battery is cactus, or you have a massive power drain....It should take at least 2 weeks to flatten a battery that bad it won't open a car door...

So whilst you're checking out about battery chargers, check out why it is draining the battery so quick and get the new battery load checked
After deducing it may've had a power drain issue...that is the reason I disconnected the new battery from the Car's Electrical System prior to charging with the Arlec the second time...it was charging and in the past on infrequent occasions when one of my car's batteries did die...an overnight charge with the automatic Arelc was sufficient to do a full recharge...so even if the car has a power drain issue; that would be of no consequence as the battery only was connected to the charger...not the Electrcial System??

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Battery issues again; went to start my VX Saturday 20th June...zippo! Zilch! Not even enough battery power to unlock the doors. Battery visigauge was showing "red" so I guess it was cactus. Bought a new 540 CCA battery on Monday. fitted to car Tuesday....checked all connections, tested and car started no issue at all. Left if for a couple of days and went to get some items from inside the boot. Opened and retrieved from boot - easy! Sunday 28th go out to go for a drive...battery dead flat again...WITH NO USAGE!!...so I put my old Arlec automatic 12v charger on and leave it charge for about 11 hours. Go out to check...still flat and not able to operate doors.

Consider it an unlikely possibility that there MAY be a leak somewhere within the Electrical System that caused the batteries to discharge...so I disconnected leads from battery to car...and then connected the Arlec to the Battery. Left if overnight for a good 12 hours....go out to check and battery still as indicated by Red on the visigauge.

So I call the Autobarn shop where battery was purchased...they tell me that as it's a newer Calcium battery...an older charger won't work properly and his story sounded convincing, but am still not sure.

Seeking advice here from Members more knowledgeable than me...my question; Has battery technology and manufacture changed so much that older type battery chargers are not up to the task of completing a re-charge? As far as I was aware the Supercharge SMF58VT Silver Plus Battery was just a normal Lead Acid type Battery...
Not sure if this helps?
Put a multimeter on it.
And perform a parasitic draw test.
You'll need about 12v from your battery.
Set your meter to 10amps
Remove negative cable.
Leave for about half an hour to make sure everything has gone to sleep.
If your opening doors remove interior light globe.
Connect multimeter between negative connector and neg battery post and start pulling fuses if and when you get a significant drop you've found the culprit.
I had a problem a couple of years ago. That when i connected the fully charged battery up it was draining in about 40mins.
Did a parasitic draw test and it turned out to be the rear dimister pulled the fuse and problem solvered. Didnt need that anyway.
Also could be your boot light staying on? Hope this helps?