Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about power/tune/cam my VE SS may have

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi Everyone,

First post! Hope everyone is making it through the week – only one day to go for a few of us!

I have an 07 VE SSV ute, and had a couple of questions someone may be able to help me answer. There are a couple of mods, but I have no idea of previous owner etc. It has 100k on the clock, modded over the radiator MAFLESS air intake (wide, flat black steel box with K&N filter directly in front of engine), pacemaker extractors into hi-flow cats-into twin 3” pipes all the way back with a muffler at the very end (mild/medium noise until over 2-3k then a good scream but no real drone), a cam – mildly lumpy at idle but not a lot -I have no idea what specs are – it was done by Best Performance Motorsport Sumner Park I am guessing around 2009/2010, which now seems to be closed), and a tune.

Car is in good condition overall. Drove a stock 2012 VE2 SSV with near new k’s on it as comparison and it was similar feeling down low (1-2kRPM) but it felt very sluggish compared to mine everywhere else.

I am just wondering what approximate power gains my SSV may have over the stock 270kw. It pulls and screams a lot harder from 3-6k whereas the 2012 stock one felt doughy. I’m reasonably used to modded wrx’s and multiple sports bikes so I’m not in the ‘aw shucks the stock v8 is so quick’ mode lol. It’s a nice ute and the tune seems to be decent with no flat spots. With TC off a prod at the throttle in 2nd at 50kph-ish causes wheelspin and a slide so I just leave TC on. Tyres are 245's. It doesn't feel too modded, but then I haven't owned a VE before so any input is appreciated.

I realise there is no straight answer but an approximate guess and any ideas on how I might find out some more info (ie Has Best Performance Motorsport Sumner Park been moved/renamed, how do I contact (James? The owner)), how to tell if the cam is mild etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I am just wondering what approximate power gains my SSV may have over the stock 270kw.

Welcome to the forum mate
Honestly the only real way to know what power you've got is to put it on a dyno and see what it lays down, it's kinda hard to give you an estimate on power increase when you don't know what cam it has fitted

If you are lucky, maybe a forum member might know the fella or his whereabouts from the Performance shop that you are looking for

Last edited:

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
^^^ Indeed.

If I were a betting man, and I am, Id say you are looking at 300 - 320 rwkw. I put $5 on 310rwkw.

K_Man

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
^^^ Indeed.

If I were a betting man, and I am, Id say you are looking at 300 - 320 rwkw. I put $5 on 310rwkw.

K_Man

Lol are you being sarcastic KMan? I can't tell.

This is the intake - any idea of brand? Am I missing the middle of the engine cover?!

Thanks guys

Edit: checked engine number to make sure its the correct one L98 just in case haha.

Extractors are pacemakers.

Last edited:

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hello

Not sarcastic. L98, otr, exhaust, tune will get you between 250-270rwkw, depending on dyno.

Add a cam to that you can get anywhere from 300-330rwkw depending on cam and how good the tune is.

My money is 310rwkw based on that figure being a common-ish figure for cam only L98's.

K-man.