Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question about vlt tune

oldmate74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato
hey all got a few questions for the efi tuners out there...

got a vl turbo running a pretty decent engine.
it was tuned by previous owner and had approx 350hp @ 13psi and approx 550hp @ 20psi...

now i'll start with the problem the car is having then mention the bits im not up to scratch with.

the car cracked the head within 1 week of purchasing it, it had all the internals of the head swapped over to another head and full reco'ed at the time...
since then its having trouble with over boost and spikes and the engine can't handle it. it just breaks down really bad. it had a little bit of this before the head was swapped was no where near as bad.

after all that the fuel pump died and when looking at the pump it was under rated for the hp level it was tuned for on high boost.. it has an 044 in it now..

its running a microtech LT10 and a MSD 6AL2 for ignition... i hooked up a mates hand controller to monitor what was going on and noticed the tps, ignition timing (stuck on 15 BTDC) and a/f wasn't reading.
after inspecting closer i noticed these sensors aren't even wired up nor is a map sensor.
i seen plenty of setups running no o2 sensor or map but thought surely it needed at least one of these sensors for the computer to know whats going on..

anyways im checking the fuel pressure on the weekend as i think that has a big part of the breaking down... it may even need a new pressure regulator..
lol there isn't even a fuel pressure gauge on the car to monitor the pressure so who knows where its set..

next will be replacing the boost controller with one that can stabilize better

ok so the questions are..
1. are any of these sensors needed on a full time basis or can they be left off once tuned???

2. would the microtech still be monitoring and controlling the timing even tho there is a msd 6al2 connected???
can the microtech even control the vlt's ignition if so would it be better?? more stable tune??
do you think the timing is locked @ 15 BTDC therefore making the microtech reading is correct

3. which fuel regulator is better as with pressure ratio's?? 1:1 or 1:2..

4. which boost controller should i be looking at and why??

5. the external wastegate has 2 vacuum lines on it, one is connected to the boost controller obviously and the other is just swinging in the breeze, should this go somewhere?? does it work as a push pull type thing!!

6. finally can someone recommend a top notch tuner in Brisbane/ Brisbane north that would tune this after the issues are resolved??? please dont recommend someone just cause there good mates or cause they tuned a mates mates car once upon a time lol. only want this tuned once..

anyways i will greatly appreciate any feed back anyone has out there..
also if you want more spec's regarding components or accessories fitted let me know...

oldmate74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato
hmmm, no bites yets..

anyways bit of an update with no real improvement apart from a more stable low boost setting @ 13psi

before the vacuum for the boost controller was tee'ed into the blow off valve as weel as the fuel reg..
i deleted at least one of those so now just the blow off and boost controller is running off the one vacuum port... as i said, all it did was give a better more stable 13psi setting..

went and bought an auto meter liquid filled mechanical fuel pressure gauge and braided line, connected it all up turned the key on and gauge did nothing till the needle fell off lol... great...
to top it off no other gauges in store local so it has to be sent back to rocket for inspection and replacement.... im still set on it being a fuel problem tho... either running out of injectors or pressure..

anyways please dont be shy to comment, surely im not the only person thats had this type of problem or setup....

oh also for the wastegate as its a twin vacuum ported item. i tried to connect the bottom side vacuum port direct to vacuum and all it did was punch 25-30psi all the time... tried a couple of different vacuum hose setups and same result. it just wont run with both connected..

bachig24u

Reaction score
Website
www.stocketune.com
Members Ride
VL Commo sometimes
delayed response but here ya go,
1. Most ECU's will require RPM, Coolant temp, TPS, and either MAP/IAT or MAF or both to run an engine.
2. yes, most likely, not really more stable, no way of telling without checking TDC with dial indicator gauge and timing light.
3. 1:1 will not drive the tuner mad.
4. Had great results with Turbosmart Eboost2 v2
5. it can, but doesn't need to. 2 would work better with an electronic boost controller like Eboost2,
or if wastegate spring is light and you require broad boost range control. (eg. 7psi - 30psi).
6. no, sorry.

Hope this helps, if you still need it.!!