Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question about wheels and tyre sizes

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
looking to get some 20x8 wheels for my ute, currently have 20x8 and 245/35/20 tyres but sometimes over bumpy road and speed bumps it is uncomfortable.

Am i right that going higher in the sidewall to say 40 or 45 will make it more comfortable and a bit more give or not much difference? or should i go higher in the width of the tyre?

also i am not sure what offset for the wheels, there is 32 and 42?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
if you've got 20's why get more (typo ?) do you want 18's? you cant go higher to 40-45's otherwise your speedo will be out, if you go wider it wont make any difference

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
current wheels will not cover brembos or any big brake caliper.

why do people go wider then?
will going higher make a more comfortable ride ?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. You can fit a 245 -40 -20 tyre on all 4 rims but this will result in an inaccurate speedo reading as the total diameter of the tyre will be increased by 24 mm.

This also means the tyre will extend into the wheel well (in height) by a further 12 mm compared with the current tyres so if the car is lowered you would need to check clearances.

2. In NSW (as in other States) it is mandatory to retain speedo accuracy and if you fit the higher profile tyre (245 40 20) you will have to have the speedo recalibrated .

3. It is also mandatory in NSW that there is NO fouling of wheels/tyres on the body work or suspension or wheel well materials/fittings etc under all operating conditions (full steering and suspension movement) so make sure you can accomodate the larger diameter tyre. If the car has not been lowered this should not be an issue. If lowered I suspect you will have a problem and you may not be able to accommodate a tyre of that diameter.

In NSW these are the current guidelines you need to comply with:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

4. I would definitely not look at going to a tyre with a larger diameter than 245 40 20 (approx 704 mm )and this should give you a slightly better ride with the higher profile if it will fit your car without fouling.

5. To check the offset of the current wheels remove the wheel and it should be stamped on the inside of the rim somewhere (if not stamped on the outside). If it is a GMH 20 x 8 inch wheel it should be +48 mm offset. If an aftermarket 20 x 8 inch wheel it will probably be in the range +35 to +45 (many are +45)

6. If you are not happy with the ride the better option (rather than fitting a larger 20 inch tyre with a 40 profile) is to go back to the original SSV 19 x 8 inch rims (or equivalent ) and the standard SSV 245 -40 - 19 tyres for that rim size. This will give you the correct tyre diameter and a higher 40 profile. You will not then have clearance issues or any need to recalibrate the speedo.

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
well right now at 35, there is a fair bit of space between the wheel well and then tyre but i will check if there is 12mm clearance thanks.

i dont know if its been lowered, i bought it like this. so many mods and 3500km lol, stupid seller must have been desperate.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Throw up a picture and most people here could tell you if its lowered..

You'll always get a better ride on 18's.. But even an OEM tyre is 245-45-R18.. So fitting a 245-40-R20 will probably still give you a better ride then current..

I deliberately got 18's when I bought my car as I do a stack of highway travelling and I didn't want to buckle any rims.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
As it has already been pointed out, to go to a 20 inch, the profile will need to be lower to keep the speedo to a accurate level.

If you're wanting to clear bigger brakes (Guessing Brembo's or standard HSV Red AP Racing?) why not go for 19's?

My ute came with 19's as standard & I thought the ride was reasonable... Certainly a lot more pleasant the my old EVO X!... I wanted to stick to 19's, so I landed up picking up a set of Club Sport wheels. Same size at the front, but 9.5 inch wide on the rear which is running a 275/35 19. As it's a genuine HSV wheel, it fits perfectly with no rubbing & of course will clear Brembos etc.

If you're getting a BBK that requires 20 inch rims to clear, then my assumption would be you're going to be tracking it &/or are pushing out a wee bit more power then standard...? If my assumption is correct, then I would suggest you would want more rubber on the rear wheels regardless :)

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
In relation to the accuracy of the speedo, and effect on tyre diameters etc, this is a good site.

Tire size calculator

Darren

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
this is my ute here, anyone tell if it has any lowering or suspension mod?
20 inch wheels
OLGQJus.jpg

LEe0Ty2.jpg

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
its not lowered
BTW you may want to remove that silver packaging tape down the side of your ute, after all, its 2012.