Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question Regarding Cats

seannatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLe/VR Wagon
I am putting an EFI 5ltr into my VH SLe and i was wondering what the go with cats are. Because my vehicle didnt come with them from the factory do i shouldnt have to run cats or because the motor is out of a vs do i have too to meet emissions?

Sounds a bit more confusing then what it is i just cant word it right.

Thanks

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I understand your question, but I think the legalities of it just don't matter.

It's about doing the right thing.

If you are using unleaded then the right thing to do is fit a cat, no matter what the law says.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you have to meet emissions from the vehicle the motor came out of. so yes, you need a cat.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Think about it, the engine that was originally in the VH didnt need a cat. But a VS does run a cat. Now, it's not the chassis that would require you to not run a cat. It's the engine.

But hey, it's only a $10,000 fine if you make the wrong choice.:thumbsup:

seannatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLe/VR Wagon
Nah i wa always going to i was just wondering what the legalties stood. I thought i would have to but i wasnt sure. my mate has a HZ tonner with an injected 5ltr in it but its a 308 with 304 heads and he doesnt run a cat.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Nah i wa always going to i was just wondering what the legalties stood. I thought i would have to but i wasnt sure. my mate has a HZ tonner with an injected 5ltr in it but its a 308 with 304 heads and he doesnt run a cat.

thats because hes using a 308 block that was probably in the car to begin with. you could do the same if you wanted to goto the effort.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What ever you do you have to meet the ADR's of the latest thing, whether it is the engine or the car.

Retro fitting an earlier pre-cat engine into a car that had a cat would still require a cat.

So legally, yes, because the VS 5.0L had a cat from factory, it requires a cat no matter what it is fitted to. Unless it is a commercial vehicle.