Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions for installing AVH-X2650BT VZ steering wheel direct connect and reverse cam

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hey

I have purchased a new head unit to go into our VZ wagon, i have been looking through forum to try answer a couple of my questions but haven't found the exact answer I'm wanting so thought id post instead. I've got to wait for Fascia kit to turn up so cant install yet anyhow.

1; Steering wheel direct connect, I have read in the manual that the head unit has the ability to self program steering wheel functions without the use of a module which if it is possible would be great as the kits sell for $60-$100+ so i know that the wire have to soldered into a 3.5mm stereo plug which is easy enough but i am not sure which wires need to go in which order, has anyone done this?

2; Wiring power reverse camera and head unit input, the head unit included a reverse camera which the power is sourced from the RCA plug end at the back of the head unit, which suits me fine as the head unit need the same input to switch screen over, i have found a few posts talking about a green wire behind the drivers kick panel, this sounds like the ideal wire to use, i will be running it through a relay to reduce load on wire, also introduces a fuse specifically for the camera/screen. my question about this, does anyone have a photo of this green wire, and its location or know how to easily identify it, wouldn't be the first time there are more than 1 wire of the same colour in a vague vicinity.

Cheers James

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Refer to Rem Gnd and Steering Rem for the correct wires.
28490d1161074851-wiring-diagram-standard-vy-6-stacker-hu-imgp1203sml.jpg

With your 3.5mm stereo jack you have Tip, Ring and Sleeve.
Tip - Steering remote
Ring - No connect
Sleeve - Rem Gnd

Good luck.. its so damn temperamental in commodores.

Secondly, Pioneer design their units to give you access to the rear view camera whenever you want and also automatically when in reverse. If you wire the camera itself to the reverse wire AS WELL AS the headunits trigger then you will lose this functionality. Pushing the camera button will just result in a black screen unless in reverse. The idea is to wire the cameras red power wire to the red accessories wire on the unit and then supply an independant reverse trigger to the purple/white wire. In doing so, you put virtually nil load on the reverse light circuit.

If you do decide to wire the cameras power to the reverse light circuit there is no need for the relay. To hold the coil of a relay in place @12vdc typically requires .125A (125mA) while the camera requires about .175A(175mA) this is hardly anything to circuit which is capable of carrying far more then the light bulbs at 2.5A (2500mA)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Has this been of any help?

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hey mate, thanks heaps for that. Parts finally turned up yesterday (joys of living country), worked a treat! Worth the extra effort with the $2.45 3.5mm plug for the steering wheel controls. I found the reverse wire easily enough, almost overlooked it thinking it would never be that easy. So overall cost $55 to instal as I felt lazy and brought the ISO plug harness things which almost worked a treat except for a couple wires not hooked in correctly but was an easy fix.

So if anyone else is attempting the same thing, you just need a 3.5mm plug, stereo or mono should work to, some wire and either joiners or solder. The facia was $18, aerial adapter $6, 3.5mm stereo plug $2.45, ISO adapter harnesses $13 each x2