Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions regarding LED light conversion?

Awesome AG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Executive S2
I went white with blue needle's.
View attachment 147887

I originally did have all blue, But got boring, So i mixed it up a bit.
Im starting to get bored with white and blue now, So im comming up with a new recipe.

Hi vx_commodore.
I've just bought my first car a few months ago, It happens to be a year 2000 VT.
Just wondering is there a kit available for the Dashboard like the one you have pictured.
It looks awesome compared to the default green.

Thanks

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Not a kit as such mate. You can buy T5 LED's, and even T5 SMD's, that will replace the standard cluster globes, but if you wanna avoid LED hotspots, then you'll need too actually open things up, and solder in some SMD's in order too spread the light glow evenly. There really is a lot that goes into it, if you wanna do it really nicely like vx_commodore has. He's certainly helped me out with all of the information that I needed in order to do everything myself. So I've got all my bits and pieces on order at the moment, and I'm waiting for it all too arrive, before I can get too work.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Holy **** I'm back guys. Who ended up attempting this? Pics?

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
Hi guys i have done a blue led conversion on my vx i used 5050 smd non waterproof led strips in my cluster and the same in my heater unit for the strips to get power i connected the positive and negative wires to a globe socket i used the temperature guage socket for one side and the fuel guage socket for the other side just connect all your strips together using small pieces of wire soldered to connect each strip like it shows in the photo after you have stuck them on the cluster curcit board i used good quality double sided tape to stick them to the board... this way there are no hot spots anywhere and i used t5 5050 smd for the aircon and dimister buttons that i removed from the holder and soldered them to the curcuit board and used t5 5050 smd for the indicators cruise and cruise active and power light no soldering just insert them in your globe holder . and by using led strips you do not have to scrape the green film away from the face dials the blue overpowers the green and i still used the normal incandescent factory globes to illuminate the needles this way you can use any coloured needles to illuminate what ever coulor they are.. here are some photo of my cluster blue with red needles and a cluster showing led strips inside. and some other photos sorry not a very clear ones of the blue cluster .so if your in melbourne and you want your car done all in blue or if you have any more questions about installation PM me. .

Attachments

• 20180616_140817.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 20180611_212442.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 367
  • 20180616_144622.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 576
  • 20180616_144632.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 20180616_144705.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
this is how you convert a cluster to LED and my HVAC goes from blue to green to red looks like factory fitted

marvel at its beauty notice the reverse LCD's

DSC_0065.JPG

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Looks good but your needles are very dull why is that .

it's perfect that's a daylight pic (the cluster is always on) with a DLSR camera

you can also use the dim switch just like OEM

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Nice pics!!
Moriati! Anyone? Hi, what did you use for your Traction and Power Buttons?
I have all my stock cluster lights and HVAC lights working (VXAcclaim) apart from these two. Today I finally managed to get to the two switches, and what a task that is. Fortunately I was doing an amp install so had most of the car apart so swapped them out by taking the mount out of the switch and then the globe out of the mount, then installing two LED lights that I got from Jaycar. Not much choice here in the country so I had to make do with something roughly the same size and with long tails as I had to rewire the globes into the original mount that twists into the switch. I'm aware that there is a polarity issue, but to no avail, they just fizzed when I turned them on. The correct globes are as rare as hens teeth. Every unit I have found at wreckers etc, all globes are blown.
These are not the exact same lights that I used.. more so showing the type and tail.. You get the idea though. Too bloody cold to go down stairs now..

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
They fizzled because U need resistors to drop 12v down to roughly 2-3v.
And in such a small space as the neo wegde fitting, u'll need smd LEDs and smd resistors