Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions regarding Supercharging VR 5.0L

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Ok, so im seriously thinking about charging my VR 5.0L ute, and I have my eye on the Top mounted Yella Terra Kit. Im informed that this is an M90 Charger, and I have a couple questions in regards to this.

I hear that the M90 is meant for engine sizes from 3.0 - 5.7L, so I thought that it should be plenty to give my 5.0L a kick in the pants, but I keep hearing from different people that the M90 is too small for a 5.0L even though it says it's good up till 5.7L. They've recommended an M112 from Mark's Workshop. Now normally you would think that why wouldnt you go for the M112 over the M90? The problem is that the M112 kit is over $3000 more than the $6000 for the M90. I dont have a whole lot to spend, but I dont want to be disappointed after parting with 6 grand either.

I dont really want to go WILD with my ute, I just want a decent sleeper that kicks off from the lights and isnt embarrassed by every POS boy ricer runnning an SC14 on his lancer. It would probably be running the standard 8 or 9 PSI with stock internals, maybe a cam to suit the charger.

In short, is the M90 enough or will it run out of puff on a 5.0L and leave me unhappy? Yella Terra claims a 60% in useable (down low) torque, and this sounds great, but is it all bullshit? Should I save for another few years (lol :dance:) and get the M112?

Or maybe im wrong and the Yella Terra kit is an M112? Lol, would be great if people could clear this stuff up for me.

Last edited:

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
M90 runs out of puff quickly. Good down low torque though. There is no way an m90 would good for a 5.7! If u want a good value for money kit. Look at the raptor kits. dont get the down low torque but top end will make up for it quickly. Plus the kit comes with injectors and chip. Im fairly sure the M90 kit from yt doesnt come with injectors or tune. Could be wrong though.

Vee-ard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Yeah, I have considered raptor, but because my car is never going to see the drags, by the time raptor makes power i'll already be doing 100kph.. Not really sensible for 100% street driven car. Sort of looking for something to raise the lower part of the curve..

Think I've decided that I'll be waiting for Yella Terra's Whipple Adaptation for the 5.0L EFI and see how much that will sting the hip pocket.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I have considered raptor, but because my car is never going to see the drags, by the time raptor makes power i'll already be doing 100kph.. Not really sensible for 100% street driven car. Sort of looking for something to raise the lower part of the curve..

Think I've decided that I'll be waiting for Yella Terra's Whipple Adaptation for the 5.0L EFI and see how much that will sting the hip pocket.

Have u been in a 5L with centrifugal blower before? As far as going nowhere until ur going 100kms an hr isnt right at all. You just feel power later in the rev range whereas a top mounted blower will just u the kick down low and you wont feel a lot later. Which it does sound like ur going for. A stoker will do the same thing, plus you get a fresh engine. Not trying to change ya mind, just discussing options. How many kms has your vr got? The whipple kit is going to be 10.5k plus fuel system, tune and installation. Bugger spending 16k on bolt ons?

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
I seen somewhere (eaton i think) their top mount doesnt run out of puff,and was great on the holden 5L's.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
I seen somewhere (eaton i think) their top mount doesnt run out of puff,and was great on the holden 5L's.

m90 and m112s are eaton blowers, and yes they certainly do run out of puff.. the 112 is ofcourse alot better then the 90, but biggest gains are in lower end torque and do struggle in the top end compared to a centrifugal. You may be thinking of a whipple. They r good but cha ching!!

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
I'd say ur right,i seen it a few years ago. Thanks for clearing that up for me

Vee-ard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Have u been in a 5L with centrifugal blower before? As far as going nowhere until ur going 100kms an hr isnt right at all. You just feel power later in the rev range whereas a top mounted blower will just u the kick down low and you wont feel a lot later. Which it does sound like ur going for. A stoker will do the same thing, plus you get a fresh engine. Not trying to change ya mind, just discussing options. How many kms has your vr got? The whipple kit is going to be 10.5k plus fuel system, tune and installation. Bugger spending 16k on bolt ons?

Thanks mate, good info. My ute has only done 65,000K's. I have thought about all of this and come to the conclusion that fastest 0-100 speeds are what I would be after, given that its street driven, and dont want to be photographed by Mr. Blue doing 40K's over.

Not really chasing a stroker, because if a larger engine was what I was after, I might as well sell the ute and buy an LS1 VY SS with all the cheap power mods I can do to one of those.

Also, Micky D. hasnt given a price on the YT whipple yet, so its not guaranteed that's what ill be chasing just yet. If that ends up costing too much I think ill just go for the M112, even though I think the sort of power that the M90 would offer is all im really after, but people make the M90 sound like an SC14 that does absolutely nothing even on a V6.

Say i bolted on an M90, and keeping in mind that I want fast 0-100's, would that 60% extra torque be useless on street tyres? As it is I need to control the throttle, because even now with my foamy tune, I have heaps of wheelspin. Is this going to cut my 0-100 times down simply because I cant get traction? In this regard would it be better to go centrifugal?

Still confused :dance:

Last edited:

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
65kms is f**k all. I was thinking due to you living in Broome that ya kms might be higher. I couldnt tell you about traction troubles as ive neva really been in a worked vr/vs ute. I guess it comes down to you perfecting your own driving, and knowing exactly how much u can give it before its wheel spinning like crazy. Maybe just try some better tyres. Are you going to get MWS to do it? Fair drive! But best blower workshop in the country! all of his kits are put together really well and I think you should give him a call and discuss the 112 option. He drives a v8 with one of these blowers for a daily. Wont be cheap, but you wont have to pay anyone twice! M90s r better then the SC14. The factory supercharged v6s come with the m90 and theres a fair few blokes doing easy mid 12s in them. The Centrifugal will be a lot cheaper but if the characteristics are not what your after then I wouldnt settle for 1.

Vee-ard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Thanks Sen8r, given me something to think about. I'll be moving back down to perth at the end of the year, so york isnt that far when you're down there. It'll take me a while longer to keep the extra stash of cash hidden from the missus though.