Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick base coat question

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Hi all just a quick question
When you do a final base coat (metallic Enamel) and you find its a bit patchy from an uneven coat whats the best way to fix it.
Can you just give it a light wet rub and dust on another coat, Or will clear cover it.
Im going to do a ute hard cover for a mate just want to make sure if i get an uneven coat if its easy to fix.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
what brand paint is it? what brand gun you using? if you need to rub and rebase a section go no coarser than 800 grit...just have to adjust the air pressure, fan control and amount of paint coming as well as the amount of thinners in the base to get it just right. certain guns and certain brands will mottle (patchy) less than others. not sure you should be clearing over an enamel though... if your trying to get a sick job with a super cheap auto gun dont get your hopes up....

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
well im no pro but i have done a bit before the paint is PPG dulon (holden hot house green) i think, As for the gun i will have to have a look it starts with a W. I have had it for a couple of years cost bout $400 when i brought it (1.4 tip) . The shop said to mix the paint at 1:1. I have never had to paint such a big surface area and get it to look spot on just want to make sure im happy with it before i give it back to my mate.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
gonna chuck in my 2c (ready for correction)

i dont really add that much reducer to start with. i usually throw in 15-20%, but it all depends on how well it flows out of the gun. if the tin has been sitting for a while i will put more in.

and as hr-ryder has said, its all about setting up everything perfect and having a nice, straight, even hand. put the fan on nice and high, have plenty of paint coming out, but not so much that itll run. make sure you are spraying at room temp or above if its about 16-18 degrees the paint takes ages to go off and it is just painful.

but yeah, rub it flat, start again.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes dulon is acrylic laquer not enamel what sort of gun you useing gravity feed or suction feed and at what pressure i spray at no more than 30psi with gravity feed gun

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers ari666
the gun is gravity feed and i normaly run at just over 2 bar iv got it all sanded back will start painting today.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
gonna chuck in my 2c (ready for correction)

i dont really add that much reducer to start with. i usually throw in 15-20%, but it all depends on how well it flows out of the gun. if the tin has been sitting for a while i will put more in.

and as hr-ryder has said, its all about setting up everything perfect and having a nice, straight, even hand. put the fan on nice and high, have plenty of paint coming out, but not so much that itll run. make sure you are spraying at room temp or above if its about 16-18 degrees the paint takes ages to go off and it is just painful.

but yeah, rub it flat, start again.

if its a 1.1 base coat mabe start it with 30 - 35% thinners and go from there. ari says 15 to 20 and mabe thats ok but just stir it around and check before you load you weapon. i use the deltron stuff and if tried to spray it at 20% thinners itd be like hammer tone... cant speak for the dulon stuff... like ari said if its old paint mabe its a little thicker might need more thinners to get it out the gun...

jd hot stuff

355 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL 355 stroker, VZ V6
Just to help you guy's out, more often then not, 90% of base coat (don't matter if its acrylic or 2pac) it should be mixed to 50% paint 50% thinner. With acrylic, make sure you get your base coat to a very nice coverage. Then you can rub it back with 1200 wet. I wouldn't go with 800 as its to course for fresh base. Then rebase. Dont be scared to spay a lil wet, but not over wet. And right after you have done that coat, while its wet. Put down a dust coat if its metallic. You do this by starting at one corner, for example. Top left end of hard cover, spray on an angel, and spray from SW to NE direction. This should hide the mottle (patchy parts) go away.
n
Then with the clear in acrylic, it should also be 50% clear 50% thinner. Go over with 3-4 coats, first coat should be no more then 50% so no runs do a cur then make sure next three coats are nice and wet as acrylic drys quick, and not enough clear at once will go dry and dusty. After that, allow to dry then 1200 the hard cover till flat. Then thin down the clear more so you can flow coat it. You can do another 2-3 coats on this. Flow coating will make the clear so much easier to buff shiny.
You have to remember with acrylic clear, that its not as durable as 2pac clear. The more coats on acrylic clear the better ( no need to do heap's of coats) as when polishing, acrylic wears very quickly. Also

This is the way id do it, as I am a spray painter and that's how i have been shown, and after using acrylic also, and will help with a good finish.

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
u can get a sic paint job with a supercheap gun its all in the prep work gun setup and technique

this is 2k clear over base black mettalic.

001.jpg

020-1.jpg