Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick few questions

l2eeFer13

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo E3 2013
Hay Steve

I'm currently modding my 2008 VE sv6 3.6L 5sp sedan auto and I'm in NZ

Been reading around and noticeing how after most mods you need a tune and there's none available for the 5sp.

Does this mean that the OTR option won't be available and that I should settle with the air hammer CAI?

Also in a few days I'm getting extractors, cats and full exhaust system installed.
Will your remote tune be able to stop the check engine light from coming up for replacing the cats?

Also I would love to get a set of your new cams. Will this option be available for me?

Cheers

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Any VE holden V6 can be tuned by mace. That is, the engine can be tuned to provide more torque, throttle response, fuel eco and power. However because yours is a 5 spd auto, this just means that your auto shifts cannot be altered.

Otherwise, cams, OTR, extractors and cats will all work in your car, and CAN be tuned to run effectively.

So to recap, yes your car can be tuned with the mods listed above. Just the 5spd auto cannot be touched.

Hope that helps abit.

l2eeFer13

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo E3 2013
Thanks for the reply kuzman

Do you recon it would be ok to tune the car after all the mods are installed or after each individual mod? And will maces remote tune cover everything?
I plan on getting the exhaust first, OTR or CAI next week, cams and CPR6/insulators further on

And you had the option would you go for the OTR or the airhammer?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Best bet would be to get the whole tune after all mods are completed. That is standard practice. Depends on how long you think it will be until you put the cams, cpr6/insulators etc on.

You could always put the OTR and exhaust on first, get a remote tune by Steve, then a year later put CPR6/insulators/CAMS on and get it retuned. Might cost a bit more. Would have to ask Mace directly. Your car will run fine without a tune for all those mods, but a good tune will bring it all together.

If I was choosing between the two, it would be the OTR. From what I've seen has better results, but cost's more. Really depends on your budget.

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've got the airhammer on mine now and like it but am switching to the Orssom OTR once my cams are in.

I wish they could tinker with the 5 spd. Would be even better after tune.

Also Steve would the CPR6 fit with my spacers? I'm thinking no cause of clearance with the bonnet?

l2eeFer13

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo E3 2013
Cheers for the help guys.

Think ill go for the ORSSOM OTR as Tommo mentioned.

Does anybody know how much it costs to install cams? A rough figure would be good also here in NZ i would doubt that there will be much experienced mechanics with ve v6s.
Could almost any mechanic be able to install them or should i really be looking for someone with lots of holden xp

MACE

Reaction score
Hey l2eeFer13,

Thanks for your inquiry

In regards to your questions statements

“I'm currently modding my 2008 VE sv6 3.6L 5sp sedan auto and I'm in NZ
Been reading around and noticeing how after most mods you need a tune and there's none available for the 5sp.”

This is correct

“Does this mean that the OTR option won't be available and that I should settle with the air hammer CAI?”
Not true, as we’re still able to calibrate the engine control module to successfully support the OTR

“Also in a few days I'm getting extractors, cats and full exhaust system installed.
Will your remote tune be able to stop the check engine light from coming up for replacing the cats?”

We can turn off the catalyst efficiency error code from coming up after installing the high flow cats

“Also I would love to get a set of your new cams. Will this option be available for me?”
It will be

“Do you recon it would be ok to tune the car after all the mods are installed or after each individual mod? And will maces remote tune cover everything? I plan on getting the exhaust first, OTR or CAI next week, cams and CPR6/insulators further on”
Depending on your budget, you would want to try and get as many items installed prior to tuning. In saying this though, we don’t charge anything for tune revisions for previous or current customers at the moment

“And you had the option would you go for the OTR or the airhammer?”
If you’re planning on getting a tune, then go the OTR, otherwise the airhammer item also works well

“Does anybody know how much it costs to install cams? A rough figure would be good also here in NZ i would doubt that there will be much experienced mechanics with ve v6s.”
The price will be around the $1000NZ mark. To be honest, any switch on mechanic cad do the install without any problems

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
I've got the airhammer on mine now and like it but am switching to the Orssom OTR once my cams are in.
I wish they could tinker with the 5 spd. Would be even better after tune.
Also Steve would the CPR6 fit with my spacers? I'm thinking no cause of clearance with the bonnet?
Hey Ryan,

With the spacers that you currently have, the most that you could comfortably go would be a 6mm item, but can help you out with that :)

Cheers,
Steve

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey Ryan,

With the spacers that you currently have, the most that you could comfortably go would be a 6mm item, but can help you out with that :)

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for that Steve. :) Cams in first and then switch to the OTR.

Then maybe just maybe a CPR6 but I doubt it. A bit pricey last I looked into it (how much are they now?) but it would work well with the cams I imagine? They suck alot more air in then the standard manifold.

edit: I can see me getting one soon. Damn this is all too hard to say no. Endless money pit this car is. lol

l2eeFer13

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo E3 2013
Hey l2eeFer13,

Thanks for your inquiry

In regards to your questions statements

“I'm currently modding my 2008 VE sv6 3.6L 5sp sedan auto and I'm in NZ
Been reading around and noticeing how after most mods you need a tune and there's none available for the 5sp.”

This is correct

“Does this mean that the OTR option won't be available and that I should settle with the air hammer CAI?”
Not true, as we’re still able to calibrate the engine control module to successfully support the OTR

“Also in a few days I'm getting extractors, cats and full exhaust system installed.
Will your remote tune be able to stop the check engine light from coming up for replacing the cats?”

We can turn off the catalyst efficiency error code from coming up after installing the high flow cats

“Also I would love to get a set of your new cams. Will this option be available for me?”
It will be

“Do you recon it would be ok to tune the car after all the mods are installed or after each individual mod? And will maces remote tune cover everything? I plan on getting the exhaust first, OTR or CAI next week, cams and CPR6/insulators further on”
Depending on your budget, you would want to try and get as many items installed prior to tuning. In saying this though, we don’t charge anything for tune revisions for previous or current customers at the moment

“And you had the option would you go for the OTR or the airhammer?”
If you’re planning on getting a tune, then go the OTR, otherwise the airhammer item also works well

“Does anybody know how much it costs to install cams? A rough figure would be good also here in NZ i would doubt that there will be much experienced mechanics with ve v6s.”
The price will be around the $1000NZ mark. To be honest, any switch on mechanic cad do the install without any problems

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve
Thanks for answering all my questions Steve. Purchased my OTR last night and will get the cams next.
Do you currently have them in stock and are you going to post them up on your website?