Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick question about removing Harmonic Balancer

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi all,

I tried to remove my harmonic balancer on the weekend with the intention of replacing the crankshaft sensor due to my diagnostic tool reporting weak or no signal from the sensor.

In the process of using the harmonic balancer removal tool I managed to get the end piece of the tool (gold bit) stuck in the balancer hole (see picture #2) which as you can imagine was fun to try and remove.
I messaged an ex-mechanic friend of mine and was told that I should leave the harmonic balancer bolt in about 10mm and use the puller to push against that, however every tutorial / guide I have read says to remove the bolt completely and then connect the removal tool

Can someone confirm what way is correct?

zw5tU87.jpg

bTjT1L5.jpg

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Leave the bolt in but loosened off a couple of turns otherwise you risk fu@#ing up the thread in the end of the crank.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I use a cap screw, slightly smaller than the bolt as it gives the puller something to centre into and doesn't damage the thread in the crank.

D

devilly

get the brass tip out then put bolt back in about 3/4 of the way it need's something to press against. to get brass bit out big flat end screwdriver and try wiggling it very slow left,right up down.even spray some wd40 in there to help get it out.

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Tried again on Saturday but it appears that if I'm pushing against the harmonic balancer bolt I will need to remove the radiator fans as the removal tool sticks out too far.. does that sound right?
Alternatively I can maybe take the gold part off the removal tool and have the removal tool end push against the harmonic balancer bolt

Am I on the right track?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
To be sure to be sure to be sure, for ease, room, and to prevent damage, do yourself a favour, remove the radiator.

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
Hi all,

I tried to remove my harmonic balancer on the weekend with the intention of replacing the crankshaft sensor due to my diagnostic tool reporting weak or no signal from the sensor.

In the process of using the harmonic balancer removal tool I managed to get the end piece of the tool (gold bit) stuck in the balancer hole (see picture #2) which as you can imagine was fun to try and remove.
I messaged an ex-mechanic friend of mine and was told that I should leave the harmonic balancer bolt in about 10mm and use the puller to push against that, however every tutorial / guide I have read says to remove the bolt completely and then connect the removal tool

Can someone confirm what way is correct?

zw5tU87.jpg

bTjT1L5.jpg
In the same boat mate, how did you end up getting yours out?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There are three threads relating to harmonic balancer removal posted in the last few days. Did you read them before posting your question (on a five year old thread no less)?

WattaV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vx Commodore 2000
There are three threads relating to harmonic balancer removal on the same page as your post (on a five year old thread no less). Did you read them before posting?
Yea, not talking about removing the balancer but the little end piece that got stuck, have read and searched every thread on here relating to trying to get it out, looks like it’s gonna have to be a mechanics job anyway mine is in too deep.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Try spinning it out with a pair multigrips or putting a bolt in the recess and rocking it from side to side?