Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick rego question - Vic only.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
just need to confirm my thoughts to see if i have this correct.

about 9 months ago i sold a car with rego but without a RWC (left the plates on).
I left it for them to get a RWC and then transfer the remaining rego into their own name - (i have signed forms renegging me from any legal responisbility towards any fines etc as well).
So, yesterday the rego sticker turns up in the mail - they havent transfered the rego in their name.
now, 9 months is plenty of time to do this, and i no longer want a car that is still registered in my name, to be on the road when im not in possession of it.
so is there any way at all they can go into Vicroads and present ownership papers and somehow get a rego sticker issued to them even though the rego is still in my name?
the answer im looking for is NO - tell me im correct.
i want them to turn up and ask for the rego sticker so i can tell them to F-O and go get a RWC first so it can be transfered into their name.
what im really hoping for is that if they dont contact me, they cant get the rego renewed so they will ultimately have an unregistered car.

Before anyone asks, im not going to go to Vicroads and just cancel the rego (even though i could), i want them to be forced to do what they should have done 9 months ago.
they have also moved from the address that they were living at when i sold them the car so i have no way to contact them either.

i dont mind trying to help people out either, i just dont like people that are too lazy to get things sorted for themselves.

so, is there only option to chase me up or can they get around going through me?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
YEs they can pay the rego without your permission easiest way is via bpay they dont need any proof of who paid it as long as its paid. The problem is they would need the details of bpay account to make payment. Did you get the letter reminder in the mail before the rego was due? I'm also almost positive you could walk into vic roads and say that your paying it for a "friend" as they cant make it in for whatever reason though they may need some proof or signature

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
they cant pay it if they dont have the rego papers can they.
i have the rego papers, it hasnt expired yet, so without any payment info, i doubt they will be able to pay for it.
even if they somehow manage to pay it, they dont have the rego sticker and i seriously doubt Vicroads will issue another one to them over the counter when the car is obviously still in my name (for rego at least).
that to me means they have 2 options:
see me or
have an unregistered car.

i should make it clear too, i am not going to go pay the rego on their behalf.
im happy to let it lapse if they dont want to get a RWC and transfer the rego into their name like they were meant to 9 months ago.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
They can pay it.All they need is the serial number off the rego sticker.Simple as that.Call Victoads and tell them what has ahappened and im sure they will cancel the rego for you.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
damn it.
oh well, if (and thats a big if) they are smart enough to figure that out, i will cancel the rego on them so they have no option but to get a rwc and transfer it into their name.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
As ado said you dont need the papers to pay. Hell they could even ring up pretend to be you tell them they lost the rego sticker/letter and give person on the phone the rego details and ask for the bpay details or something

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Let them pay it then cancel the rego.Refund cheque come to you.:thumbsup:

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Let them pay it then cancel the rego.Refund cheque come to you.:thumbsup:

funny you say that.
i had actually written that in my last post but deleted it because i thought it was too mean :whistling

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If you sell a vehicle without a RWC you are meant to remove the plates and cancel the registration. Legally you can't sell it on the assumption the buyer will get the RWC though plenty of people do, a bit of info below from the Vic Roads web site.
........................................................................................................

Transferring a currently registered vehicle in another persons name
When a Victorian registered car, motor cycle, truck or trailer has been sold, given as a gift or otherwise disposed of, and will be garaged in Victoria, VicRoads must be informed. The buyer must submit a vehicle registration transfer form to VicRoads within 14 days of taking possession of the vehicle.

To transfer a registered vehicle, a current Victorian Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) is generally required however some exemptions are available.

Selling or buying an unregistered vehicle
You do not need to provide a RWC or submit a transfer form to VicRoads. The registered operator can request to cancel the registration by contacting VicRoads on 13 11 71. A receipt of sale should be kept by the seller and the buyer that identifies the vehicle and the details of both parties.

If you intend driving an unregistered vehicle on a road you will need to obtain an Unregistered Vehicle Permit.

A person who sells a registered vehicle is required to:
provide the buyer with a RWC issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale

complete a vehicle registration transfer form with the buyer and keep a copy for their own records

A person who buys a registered vehicle is required to:
complete the vehicle registration transfer form with the seller
submit to VicRoads within 14 days of the sale the completed transfer form, RWC and fees