Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick rego question - Vic only.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
i have signed forms renegging me from any legal responisbility towards any fines etc as well

Means nothing.

As long as you have their details (including date of birth and/or licence number) you're able to declare on the back of any TCO notice that you disposed of the vehicle on a specified date to that particular person you're at that time declaring to be the person now in possession of the vehicle.

In future either do the transfer on the spot and YOU submit the papers with RWC or cancel the registration and hand in the plates. Sure it sucks for them to have to either tow or get a permit and you'll attract less prospective buyers, but if they really want the car they'll do it on your terms. That way you're ass is covered. I think most licensed testers will give you a new certificate free of charge (provided you get along with them) if it runs out before you manage to sell.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
A person who sells a registered vehicle is required to:
provide the buyer with a RWC issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale
As I understand it, licenced motor traders can buy them from you without rwcs, and if someone turns up with their own mechanic who will fill out the rwc for them, they can take the vehicle with the existing rego.

Personally to let the person drive the car around with it still registered to you is putting yourself at extreme risk of financial ruin if something goes wrong.
The registered owner of the vehicle takes on many responsibilities which aren't lifted from you just because you have Fred X sign a piece of paper saying: "Ive got the car"
Also, just removing the plates isnt enough, you have to actively inform vicroads to cancel the rego.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
As I understand it, licenced motor traders can buy them from you without rwcs, and if someone turns up with their own mechanic who will fill out the rwc for them, they can take the vehicle with the existing rego.

Personally to let the person drive the car around with it still registered to you is putting yourself at extreme risk of financial ruin if something goes wrong.
The registered owner of the vehicle takes on many responsibilities which aren't lifted from you just because you have Fred X sign a piece of paper saying: "Ive got the car"
Also, just removing the plates isnt enough, you have to actively inform vicroads to cancel the rego.

If you sell the car with rego and no RWC the rego is supposed to be suspended not cancelled.If it was cancelled it must go over the pits yet suspension means you only need to get the rw and produce it at Vic Roads.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
If you sell the car with rego and no RWC the rego is supposed to be suspended not cancelled.If it was cancelled it must go over the pits yet suspension means you only need to get the rw and produce it at Vic Roads.

The way it reads is its not possible to sell the car with rego without a rwc. Yes, if it is cancelled it must go over the pits. You reckon you can get the rego suspended and the new owner can get a rwc and then register it in their name. Please tell us all how to do that.
Where is that on the vicroads site?, the only reference to suspension is if the vehicles rego is supended by law enforcement.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
i dont see why your arguing about it really.
i can sell a car any way i please - as i have done.
the thread isnt about that at all, its about making the new onwer come and see me and explain why he never bothered to get a RWC so he can transfer the rego over.
since the question has been answered, theres no real point going on.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i can sell a car any way i please - as i have done.

Wrong. You must dispose of it in 2 ways, cancel rego and hand back plates, or get a RWC and sell with full reg. There are NO other options.

the thread isnt about that at all, its about making the new onwer come and see me and explain why he never bothered to get a RWC so he can transfer the rego over.

The fact you did not cancel the registration is your fault as you are in breach of the transfer policy. You should have followed the rules and you would now not be in this situation.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
maybe, but if some interesting points are raised that people want to discuss what has it got to do with you whether the thread continues or not?

i dont see why your arguing about it really.

This is one "argument" Id like to be proved wrong on. If there is a 3rd option to changing ownership of a vehicle that lets lets the buyer not have to present the vehicle to vicroads and the seller to not have to provide a rwc(and not get in the pickle you have) , then Im sure many of us would love to know about it.

Sir VxSs

Its gotta B a GenIII !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss II 6SpD
omg EXACTLY the same thing has happened to me ahaha thought the person i sold my car to lives in sydney! i was unaware that i had to remove the plates etc. didnt have enough time to look into it as it was advertised and sold the next day..Ive rang vic roads and asked them how to go about getting it out of my name and they said they couldnt do nothing they were being ****s.
Its been about 7months and the only reason i havent cancelled the rego is because i keep getting endless fines and parking tickets from the new owner... So have you cancelled the rego yet? is it out of your name?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
havent heard from them yet.
not overly worried about it anyway.
ill chase it up if i dont see them before it runs out.