Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quickest stock V6 ? Some say VP

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
As recorded in Wheels, Modern Motor and Motor mags

Stock VL auto six : 0 - 100 = 10.80 - 11.08, 0 - 400m = 17.50 - 17.77
" " man six: 0 - 100 = 9.22 - 9.58, 0 - 400m = 16.73 - 16.78
Turbo VL Man six : 0 - 100 = 7.61 - 7.65 0 - 400m = 15.54 - 15.58

Stock VN SI auto : 0 - 100 = 8.02 - 8.22 0 - 400m = 15.65 - 15.72
" " " man: 0 - 100 = 7.49 - 7.61 0 - 400m = 15.50 - 15.61

Stock VP auto : 0 - 100 = 8.90 - 9.31 0 - 400m = 16.52 - 16.72
Stock VP S man: 0 - 100 = 7.49 - 7.72 0 - 400m = 15.50 - 15.60

From these figures, and every other test you can lay your hands on, the Stock VL wouldn't know which direction the VN or VP went. Look as far as you like you will not find any recorded test where the VP was quicker than the VN series I. The only literature showing the VP with more performance than the VN is the Official Holden performance claims for the VP. On paper the updated model could not be shown as having less performance than the car it replaced or so the rumour goes.
After reading a lot of posts I spoke to a few mechanics at performance shops in my area regarding the Bellmouth fitted to VPs and later models. I was told that removing the bellmouth made the VP run quicker like a VN SI and was the cheapest performance mod (free).
Oh well it is an ongoing saga.

Last edited:

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
i had an old S1 VN with a 5 speed and on a good day i could reach 4th in the wet. I loved the response.

I recently upgraded to a 5 speed VT and there is no camparison.
The VT is SLOW of the mark and has trouble reaching 3rd in the wet with the exact same pirelli tires that i had on the VN.
Now im pissed off that my mate is driving my old VN that has more go.
I thought an upgrade was supposed to be good.
Anyone else dissapointed with the VT range??

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I had a VN calais and that thing could fly! Was lowered, 16" rims nice sound system, and it could spin the wheels from standing start in the dry if i wished it to!

It was stolen in july, they found it stripped, even my uni text books were taken :(

So i decided to get the VT Calais... now i miss my VN more than ever! VT is really nice inside, electric seats are pretty funky, climate control, good stock sound system but off the lights its like my VN pulling a train behind it... it even has a CAI out of s/c commo in it... I was thinking of maybe doing the headers in this beast of a machine, and exhaust + lowering at a later stage... being 21, noticable mods make my insurance cost rise like crazy... as it is i am paying over $2k for comprehensive insurance

blocka

EXC35
Reaction score
Website
www.southerncoastcustoms.com
Members Ride
VT S L67
Not sure if its been said but the quickest stock v6's from factory would most likely be the supercharged ecotec or the 190 alloytec

V

VPcommy

Yeah I agree, the VN and VP seems to be one of the quickest off the line. Especialy the 5 speed models. Although I would have to say that almost every VN V6 auto I have lined up with has been close but the VP seems to win nearly every time (except against 5L and manuals) Although It depends on the individual car.

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
Misaprop said:
I had a VN calais and that thing could fly! Was lowered, 16" rims nice sound system, and it could spin the wheels from standing start in the dry if i wished it to!

It was stolen in july, they found it stripped, even my uni text books were taken :(

So i decided to get the VT Calais... now i miss my VN more than ever! VT is really nice inside, electric seats are pretty funky, climate control, good stock sound system but off the lights its like my VN pulling a train behind it... it even has a CAI out of s/c commo in it... I was thinking of maybe doing the headers in this beast of a machine, and exhaust + lowering at a later stage... being 21, noticable mods make my insurance cost rise like crazy... as it is i am paying over $2k for comprehensive insurance

VT's are slow man, as are VX, my car (VS) beats my old ladies (VX)