Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quote on vr tranny

Inkar

:]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
Do you guys know how much it would cost to fix the tranny seal as its leaking coolant.
cheers

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
well... to state the obvious... it's not leaking coolant.... where is the leak coming from exactly??

Inkar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
its in the middle near the firewall, once you start the car it drips onto the exhaust and its pinky colour

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
That pinky colour would be a tranny fluid - not coolant.

Might be the pan gasket.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As it start to drip when the engine runs its possible that its coming either where the selector arm connects or from the cooler lines. You really need to drive it onto ramps or a gutter and crawl underneath with a can of degreaser and degrease. When dry start the engine and try and locate the drip(s).

Inkar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
yea mate had a look at it and he said its the seal, how much would it cost if i were to take it to the mechanics to fix it, anyone have a rough idea?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd look first at other options - if you figure you will have the car for a few more years then I'd get it fixed. If the has high miles and I reckoned I'd be trading in 6 months or so I'd put a tin of "transmission leak sealer" which should stop the leak. If the auto has other problems the difinately add a can of "stop leak".
But as to the actual cost....now you know the problem you can ring an auto repair place and ask....its a fairly common and simple job for them and I'm sure they could give you a ballpark figure....maybe 1 hr labour and a bit for the seal....$120 at a guess but thats a wild guess at best.

Inkar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
sweet man il go and ask tomoro hope its not too expensive otherwise il give the car away

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
they would just quote for a transmission service and do that, no point pulling that pan off if your not replacing the seal, you will get away with under $200

where in Melbourne are you? I know a mechanic who might help you out.

Inkar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
i live in view bank near Eltham and Heidelberg