Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

R31 Map lights to VN - VS

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hey guys, How many of you have been driving along at night, only to need to read the melways or find something in the dark and your stock interior light doesn't provide enough light.

The answer is a set of map lights! I installed a set of Skyline R31 front map lights to my VN commodore, its quite easy.

Step 1: Buy a interior map light from the wreckers, mine came from Jollys wreckers in South Dandenong, cost me $17. Mark out on your headling the hole you will need to cut. My hole was 12.5cm by 12.5cm. (picture 1)

Step 2: This all the materials you will need. Wire, black texta, ruler, template for hole and a knife or two. For the wire just extend the positive and negative wires from the plug, please use solder people!

Step 3: Cut away the headlinging to reveal the cardboard underneath.

Step 4: Cut the cardboard away so you can now see the metal roof.

Step 5: These metal tabs will have to bent so the light will stay in the roof, skyline roofs are made of stronger stuff. Not bending these WILL cause the light to fall out or crack/rip the cardboard roof.

Step 6: This the light test fitted to the roof, as you can see its a bit wonky, Make sure to tuck in all the trim to make it look nice.

Step 7: Wire up the light. Run the wire down the A piller on the drivers side into the fuse panel underneath the dash. Ground goes to and unpainted surface and positive to a free opening in the first five spots (means the light will work when the ignition is off) Use a inline fuse for safety. (10 amp)

Step 8: Now to make it look pretty undo the 4 screws on the back of the light and seperate the casing. Mask up the clear plastic parts.

Step 9: Spray with some plastic primer, then once dry, spray it any colour you want. (mines red because it matches the roof.)

Step 10: Reinstall and your done!!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 647
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 560
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 603
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 637
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 805
  • 08-09-07_1627.jpg
    08-09-07_1627.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 773
  • 08-09-07_1713.jpg
    08-09-07_1713.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 593
  • 09-09-07_1643.jpg
    09-09-07_1643.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Nice work and good idea mate :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Can i ask why you didnt use the calais map lights? or maybe ford fairmont/fairlane map lights?
But a good write up anyway mate

Last edited:

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Can i ask why you didnt use the calais map lights? or maybe ford fairmont/fairlane map lights?
But a good write anyway mate

Because there is a roof mounted screen in that spot. :yeah:

This would also work for the VY - VZ maplight/sunglasses holder.

mcnmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS manual wagon
has anyone instaled a calais map light into a vs?
i just bought one but havent recieved it yet. the seller said its not as easy as just switching the original light.. is this true? i realise ill have to cut a bigger hole but is there additional wiring required?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
i just bought one but havent recieved it yet. the seller said its not as easy as just switching the original light.. is this true? i realise ill have to cut a bigger hole but is there additional wiring required?

To get the spoties to work on the Calais light you just need to run 1 wire (about 5 cm long) to the spade type connector. It took me about 30 mins to cut the insulation off the power in wire just above the main light and solder a bit of wire with a connector on it. The spot lights earth via 1 of the screws so you need to screw it back up to make it work.

Also you cut a snall bit of hood lining out - this took the most part of the time as I did not wish to cut out too much.

Lights over the back doors is a different story.

whitey1977

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR sedan Manual

I installed a map light into my VR. I bought the light off Ebay, and simply cut the roor lining towards the front slight. The light weas wired up and ready to install. A couple of solders later, and it was ready to go. Haven't had a problem since.

Cheers