Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RA Rodeo. Opinions?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
So Im looking at getting a 2004 RA Rodeo Dual Cab. 3.5L Petrol. Im aware they have a notorious reputation for 'guzzling fuel' but other then that issue has anyone had any experience with them? How'd you find them? Im not looking at wanting to do extreme off road stuff or anything. Its main purpose will be things like throwing my bike or wakeboard in the back and heading off on weekends etc.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I had a 99 rodeo.
Found it very light in the rear so traction wasn't always the best (handled loss of traction in the wet very well).
Towed my boat (fibreglass 1/2 cabin) without issue.
I didn't think fuel usage was too bad but could do with an extra gear for highway driving.

Wife had issues with the bouncing

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have the RC Colorado (basically the same as the Rodeo) and I love it. Went off road once and it handled itself well, comfortable to drive on longer trips. Can't say much about the petrol V6 as mine is the Turbo Diesel.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
a bloke i know had the 3.5 for towing the work trailer, probably near 2 tons of equipment in it. seem to rape petrol, but handled the load really well.
my mate has a 2.4 2x4, could hold the tile elevator and all that, and wasn't all that down on power either.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
During 2005 I was with the RTA and my commute was 64k each way from Broadmeadows in Newcastle to the 'job', a new section of pacific highway north of Karuah. The RTA had the RA Rodeo as part of its fleet at the time.

On this commute the 2005 Corolla Auto I owned got 7.5L/100km. Sometimes I filled in for the surveillance officers, and used their utes for the commute (was a 'tool of trade' so was permitted under RTA policy). The Petrol V6 rodeo got 13.5L/100km for a manual 15L/100km for the auto. completely disgusting IMHO. Get a diesel.

They handled and rode like a waterbed mattress too.

adsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlia
I had an 04' ra LCD rodeo diesel 4x4. I loved it. I got it written off so it didn't really worry me taking it off road.me and my boss had the same model car with Diesel engines. They are very very slow.. Not like the hilux diesels or anything. I have heard that the petrol 3.5 v6 is notorious for blowing up. I have heard countless people blowing them up. Speak to you're mechanic and see that he says.

But all in all I loved it and would get one again.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah average petrol used in them is between 13-15L/100km. But it doesnt really bother me. Its not like my SS uses 10L per 100 around town either. lol. And its to be expected to have the extra power as well. The diesels are great on fuel and will run under 10L/100km, but they also have 97kw vs 147kw in the petrol. I would still prefer a diesel having said that but given the diesels are about $5k on average more they dont fit my budget. Have heard of a few petrols doing the engines but mainly due to the timing belt not being done at 160,000 in most cases. Can also have issues due to irregular services causing sludging but thats no different to what the VZ Commodore 3.6 alloytecs had. lol. The one im looking at has just over 160,000km on it and its having its full major service on it this Thursday before I go and look at it (inc timing belt).

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
In all seriousness, would you consider a late TF, 2001 ish? Great cars, if you can find a good one. I'd always go with the diesel, bulletproof.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Not really a fan of the TF's. I did look at them and consider them as the diesel then fell into my price range but A: They look so dated seeing as they look the same pretty much as a 10 year older 94 rodeo and B: Its damn hard to find a well looked after one if good nick! lol. Most of them have been work vehicles at some point and have the scars to show it. Im picky with my cars so want something thats been well cared for and never a tradies ute. And 95% of the nice ones that I find that have been cared for and never done much work because they are the wives cars etc, are all damn automatics -_-

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
had a 07 petrol v6 one (like scv6's with very minimal differences) got max 500k's to a tank in it lol