Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RACE Flow - Cold Air Intake - VY II S/C

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Well, I went against a few peoples suggestions and ended up buying the pod enclosure/CAI kit from Mace. I'm now just curious more than anything to see if it does actually have any benefit.

Anyway, once I get around to installing it, I'll post up some results and pictures. :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
LOL, fair enough! As long as your happy with the end result it's all good. If you've got a boost guage you'll probably notice the change and more power.

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
So I got around to installing the pod enclosure yesterday, and I must say, there is a significantly noticeable improvement. I now have a lot more low end power and the throttle response has improved.
Oh - and my supercharger now actually has a bit of a whine to it, hehe. :p

YouTube - VY II S - Supercharger Whine

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thats cool, i did notice the bit of whine you get. Any pics of the installation in your car?

Are you goign to get your exhaust done now too?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Should do the jod nicely. Time to get a GM strut brace on there since you have the lugs already. They only cost $40 from Holden.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The only reason i asked about your exhaust is because it doesn't sound as prominant as what the supercharger whine should be. Even mine's louder and i havn't done my exhaust yet! Have you checked how much boost you get out of your Supercharger lately? Or had it tuned lately?

But either way the air box mod looks cool. Is the air tempreature guage at the back of that box?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Ah. Well then, that's quite odd. What have you done to your intake, if anything? According to my boost gauge, I'm running a maximum of about 7 - 9 psi with a 10 psi pulley attached. Should I be hearing more of a whine, then? I've never had a tune. Anything I could possibly check?

And yes, the air temp gauge is at the back of the box. I can take some pictures of that if you like?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
A negative, but potentially supporting fact of this pod setup, is the fuel economy. I'm burning through fuel more than I was with the Type S setup. I've gone through a little over a 1/4 tank in less than three days - about 100km all up. I'll go through a couple of more tanks, but I may have to remove the setup if all I'm doing is forking out heaps of coin for fuel.
But, as I said above, this could support the products claims - that it actually does increase performance? I assume that more fuel being used equates to colder, higher amounts of air being burned?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
jameswh, you CAN get better fuel economy with a CAI, you just dont floor it! Trust me, it've been in my car for almost 2 months and i'm still testing out what my CAI can do! :D

My whole vehicle is stock except for my "Alien By Design" CAI which is designed to get a better air intake than other CAI's. As for the whine, i can't tell for sure because cameras do vary! I just recorded mine on my phone today and it sounds NOTHING like what it does in real life, so thta could have something to do with it!

But i'm also running a stock exhaust, when i upgrade that it should sound better! :)

And yea, if your pushing more fuel into the engine your going to need more fuel. Basically if you put your foot down you'll get better acceleration but it will chew through more fuel. If you relax and drive "normally" your fuel usage should drop from what it was with that normal driving if it's a good one.