Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator coolant low - fluid noise behind dash

dandandaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
hey guys,

recently my car has been making fluid flushing noises behind the dash when i drive it...i checked my radiator coolant and its below minimum (AHHH!). this obviously must be leaking somewhere, because ive changed the fluid 2 days ago because of the exact same problem...ive checked the radiator hoses and they are all on properly and tight...

i dunno how big of a job this is to fix, but ah this is my first car, but i used to do some general/basic maintenance on my dads vp ute... so if its better for me to take it to someone to get it looked at then let me know..

wangster123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series I Ute
it sounds like it may be leaking at the heater box. Any water inside the car, up under the dash?

wangster

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
maybe there is some air in thesystem. when you changed the fluid and refilled did you avethe heater going on full hot so that it runs the cool and throug hte heater core. if it still used more cooland and there isn't an obvious leak take it to get a cooling system pressure/leakdown test done

wangster123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series I Ute
maybe there is some air in thesystem. when you changed the fluid and refilled did you avethe heater going on full hot so that it runs the cool and through the heater core.

good point immortality!

wangster

dandandaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i managed to fix the radiator problem, however theres still fluid noises behind the dash? is it possible theres a cracked hose or something...i noticed a bit of water drips on carpet close to the center console...

does anyone have a good tutorial on how to pull out the console to take a quick look at the hoses?

cheers,

Dan

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
You just nailed the problem right there. Its the condensed water from the airconditioner gathering in the box behind the centre console. You obviously have a blocked outlet from the box and thats why it drips on your carpet and also why you'll hear it sloshing when you turn corners etc. Check if yours has a rubber grommet installed in the passenger side of this box, if not you may have to try and locate the drain hole from under the car (its quite difficult to find from under there though) and poke cable ties or something similar (not wire though, you could poke a hole through the rubber ducts) up through it till you get the water out. If you did this right when you pull up after driving it a while with the air on the car should make a puddle on the ground. See how ya go, bet this is the problem though.

Tim

freakme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 5L
Need help ASAP pls.....

maybe there is some air in thesystem. when you changed the fluid and refilled did you avethe heater going on full hot so that it runs the cool and throug hte heater core. if it still used more cooland and there isn't an obvious leak take it to get a cooling system pressure/leakdown test done

How do u get the air out of the cooling system for a VS V8?? Is there an air bleeder near the thermostat housing? Or something else?

Also, when putting in coolant, are u meant to have the heater (i.e have the fan switched to hot setting) on and car running when replacing coolant?

I'm changing coolant today and would like to have this info ASAP pls.

Cheers Freakme