Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator/coolant problems

anthonyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hey guys when i bought my vz sv6 8 months ago it went really good after a few months i noticed sometimes the temp went real high and i kept topping up he water and it wouldnt overheat anymore.. but after doing this a few times i noticed when i filled it up (id usually put a litre every month or 2) the colour was clear, so i assumed there was no coolant so my father in law filled my overflow tank with green coolant he said it would be ok,,, now after reading things on the net im worried i have mixed the the standard clear coolant with green.. is this a big worry?? its been a couple of months since i put the green in it.. any clues on why it would lose a litre every 2 months and what should i do about the coolant will a standard flush and fill up do??? i dont know where the leak is theres no signs of leaking on the driveway im stumped at first i thought it was the cap which i replaced cos it had a dodgy rubber but after 2 months still had to put a litre of water...

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
I'm having the same issue with loosing small ammounts of coolant from a hidden spot but no overheats, and all my water is clear so I'm pretty sure I'm due for a flush and add a new mix. BUT. Unfortunately your father in law has put in coolant meant for iron blocks not aluminum so I suggest you flush it and fill with RED alloy coolant, many brands but I'd just stick with Holden coolants

vzss123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vzss 5.7, senator 5.0
You should drop the coolant and flush it. I suggest it's either the water pump or the thermostat. Water pump for VZ is about $340 from holden, $270 from Bursons. The thermostat is sold separately, I think about another $70. Two hands will be better than one on this occasion and don't forget your radiator is a reverse system so you have to flush it from the bottom (hose goes in from the bottom not the top).
I always use RED coolant.

phillsau

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz sv6
i change my radiator cap and my water pump all up 180 doing it myself a really easy job .... and no more leak and my car only has 125000 aparently they only last about 100000

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
Yeah, i recently changed the water pump on my VZ and its was $88.00 from repco, but i have a trade discount.