Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator fan issue

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
ok, thanks for that, I'll try Holden, to see if a genuine sender unit brings the gauge down to a reasonable level

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ok, thanks for that, I'll try Holden, to see if a genuine sender unit brings the gauge down to a reasonable level

Id definitely try a genuine sender,Id also ask the spare parts blokes at holden and see what they have to say about it..Im sure I remember this guy also saying that the different sender he got when he went back to holden, was shorter than the one that made it read high.Anyway,let us know how you go with it.Cheers.

Last edited:

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
I got a genuine sender from a holden dealer in town, the guy knew nothing about a special sender for the Vs.. cost me $13 plus gst = $14.30.. made no difference at all.....
So I have worked out a way to override the fan control from the computer, now i can turn the fan on when I want it !!! not when the bloody computer thinks its time... I have taken the VS to Newcastle to pick up a caravan, went fine on the way up, I turned the fan on as needed. With the 'van on on the way back, I kept the fan on all the way, was ok except for the hills on Newcastle express way, and near Mittagong. Needs new radiator I think , got a quote from a cooling place here in town - $150... will do that soon. I have to go all the way to Queensland in a couple of weeks to pick up another caravan, it will have to be right by then

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
If that $150 includes labour then it is ####ing cheap as man. I picked my radiator up for $80 brand new from justcarparts on ebay.

Anyway my car does the same ****, so I installed a button that runs straight into the radiator lug the gives it power, through the firewall and into a button switch that lights up red when the fan is running. I tried to do it from the wire that comes out of the ecu but had no luck. It works great, you just push it when you pull up at lights, go into a carpark, when going through drive thru and she never goes above 1/4 (which is what mine sits at when cruising. Got the switch from jaycar for $8.

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
$150 across the counter, not incluiding labour. i've seen radiators on e-bay for cheaper, But i dont know If I'd go for somthing that may be made in china for the lowest possable amount... but I'm not saying that their all like that. This one will have warranty and a local suppier that I can go back to with any prob's ( mind you it might still be made in china...). I used the wire from the computer and the A/C going to the high speed fan relay, its a earth wire, so i cut it , and put it thru' a two way switch, one way things are normal, the other way, its earthed (the relay), and the fan runs when ever the ignition is on. I will have to work out a way to put a warning light on it...