Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator hose

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hi guys, just a quick question iv tryed bleeding the cooling system for any air using the the bleeder nipple on the top of the engine. but evey time i do it, the bottom hose that runs from radiator to the engine sucks in, and stays a funny flat shape???? why does it do that? or what am i doing wrong?

cheers

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Time to replace it, me thinks. As you remove the air, the hose is squeezing in to make up for les volume in the system. The next time you run the car, and the rad cap opens to let out excess liquid, it should go back into shape when the fluid comes back in again. Actually, as the fluid gets hotter, it should blow the hose back into normal shape. Most hoses should be fairly hard to squeeze, so if yours is on the softer side, you should probably replace it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I thought the bottom hose had a coil of wire like a spring inside it to stop it collapsing. If its not there then it has probably rusted away or been removed by a previous owner.
Actually it sounds to me like your radiator cap is faulty and is not allowing coolant to flow back from the overflow tank to the radiator as the coolant cools and shrinks. Removing air from the system should not cause this to happen as the coolant system by design runs at ambient pressure or above.

K

Konker

squeeze the bottom hose (WHEN COLD) and if it is really soft or worse yet makes a cracking feeling then replace it quick smart or it will tear and cause HUGE problems