Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Leak

Zeeshan Ahmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 2001 3.8L
Hi Friends
I normally drive my car with in city & not more than 10km per trip & 2-3 trips per day. Few days ago, i noticed some drops under bonnet & assumed radiator leak. I filled up the radiator upto cap & side bottle as well. Saw dripping again but after few days, leakage gradually vanished.
i could see water inside the cold radiator -2 inch below the cap & did not identify any level drop in side bottle. i thought i may have overfilled & just that water leaked.
On Saturday , when it was 34C outside, after a 80km long trip, i noticed a hissing ( steam) sound from the radiator,
Is it definitely a leakage?

Car is not heating up & water drop is ~1 Lit for 40-50km trip.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
some radiators only leak when the car gets very hot and pressure rises.

Maybe take it to a radiator place and ask them to pressure test it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
water shouldn't drop at all and a small leak will one day just go on you.

pressure test is the way to go.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Radiator cap? It's cheap option lol

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Could be your radiator cap no longer holding pressure or maybe one of the radiator hoses not clamped properly but yeah like stated above get a pressure test done asap because it will bite you in the ass.
Steam won't necessary leave a puddle. And you may be leaking coolant but it won't show from the overflow bottle straight away as it won't siphon water back into the radiator until it cools down

Androo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Acclaim
Could be the radiator body has a stress crack where the brackets that bolt it to the chassis are. Then it may only leak when the pressure is enough. I had this happen to me and I only noticed the leak a few minutes after I turned it off. A cold pressure test may not find this as the radiator body needs to be hot, so a hot pressure test is the way to go.

Last edited: