Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator leaking, side tanks help?

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
hi my radiator is leaking from one of the plastic side tanks, it has a crack in it and i have read somewhere that the taxi's use metal ones, can i just replace those tanks with metal ones or do i need to buy a brand new radiator? some prices would be helpful too before i start the ring around tomorrow. thanks in advance

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
im pretty sure that taxi's use the ones with plastic sidetanks aswell.... they arent usually too bad. they are about $350 tho

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Most taxis do used the metal ones but they are hard to find, the plastic ones will last quite long.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
you could use some stuff that Snap-on tools supplies... its called Q-bond... pour the powder into the crack, add the glue and let it set in a couple of seconds.... fixes most plastic things

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Fair enough. I do worry though that if I seal one crack there may be others just waiting for some pressure to open 'em up.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
thats a pretty common spot for them to crack as people wriggle the crap out of the hose instead of twisting it to get it off.... theres no harm in trying to fix it.... cos its not going to break the bank if it doesnt

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
i did pick up a reco one from the local natrad dealer for $130 which comes with 3 month warranty which is miles better than the $300 they charge for a new one. mind you these prices are supply only. luckily i knew it only takes 30 mins to fit!!! better to just buy a new one or reco cause i found the my old one that i tried to seal up gave out in less than a week and it was alot worse.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah I tried using fiber glass and all maner of things to seal my tiny crack int he radiator (RH side tank) in the end a mate of mine picked me up a brand new one for $100, sometimes it's who you know.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Why bother fixing - There's plenty on Ebay - this one is $109.95 with very cheap freight (item 170171456039 ). 2 year warranry as well and fits a series 2 VS.