Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator/Overheating Issues

ciggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hey all,

I have a 2014 VF SSV Redline sedan that I bought in April 2019 with around 60,000k's on the clock.

September rolls around and after a 30 minute drive in warmish weather (low 20's) I get out the car and notice the radiator fan is still running. Having not heard this before I kept an eye on it and about 5-10 minutes later it shut off. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not especially considering this was the first time I had noticed this in 5 months of owing the car.

I had been running the air-con for most of the drive, so I chalked it up to the radiator needing the cool the engine down during the early spring weather as I had the AC running as well, especially considering I probably hadn't needed to use the aircon throughout winter.

Over the last few months basically any time I hop in the car the radiator fan will run while the AC is on or off and stays on for a few minutes afterwards, no matter the outside temp.

I was convinced this was not normal operation especially since for the first 5 months of me owning the car I never once heard the radiator fan at all. Admittedly it may have turned on previously without me realizing, but I certainly never heard it running after the car was shut off until September. More importantly even throughout the last few months when the weather has been cold the car often does the same thing. If this had happened from the get go I wouldn't be too worried, or even if it happened during warm weather only, but it has happened on 15 degree mornings since.

I took it to Holden and they told me they tested it and it was normal operation. I explained everything above and they just said that the radiator can run after the car is shut off. When I asked why I didn't hear it for the first 5 months of me owning the car they seemed to not believe me and couldn't provide an answer.

Lastly, during the heatwave this week the car will barely idle for 2-3 minutes before saying it's overheating. I know that it's been 40+ degrees but I can't even drive home in peak hour in this car because it will overheat? Seems ridiculous to me.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is this really normal operation?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when the coolant temp sensor fails it usually reads higher so if it thinks it's roasting hot the fans will be on after u turn off, id change that sensor first as it also reasonable price, it will affect all fueling if it's not reading right to so will affect startup ect

ciggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
when the coolant temp sensor fails it usually reads higher so if it thinks it's roasting hot the fans will be on after u turn off, id change that sensor first as it also reasonable price, it will affect all fueling if it's not reading right to so will affect startup ect

Thanks for the reply. Is it a fairly simple job to replace? From what I can see on the workshop manual it involves draining the fluid and undoing the hose clamp which seems a bit of a pain. I have booked it in for it's regular service and will make sure they have a look regardless and see if I can pick up a replacement in the mean time. Thanks again.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
simple to replace just undo and screw new in fast n ur done if u don't loose much fluid just make sure no air in system good to go