Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator problems after 20 mins drive

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
my vr's radator turned into a fountain and spewed boiling water every where last night when i opened the cap. i first let out the pressure there was heaps of it then when all seemed safe i opened it and well yeah 5 seconds later the radiator was empty!!
has anyone any idea why its building so much pressure???

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Raising the pressure of the system also raises the boiling point of the coolant. It is totally normal. If you read the top of the radiator cap, it will tell you what pressure it should be working at (as long as you have the right cap installed). You should never open the cap on the radiator when the car is warm, very dangerous thing to do. As you found out, you think the pressure is gone, and its ok, which usually gives you enough time to get into a bad position right before it sprays out.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
What Kopper69 says is spot on - you also should hold a rag over the cap when you remove it.
If it was that hot after a 20 minute drive then you may have other problems like a stuck thermostat or whatever. Was there a reason for removing the cap?

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
yeah thats true it has the right cap 135kpa. this is myfirst commodore what should the temp gage sitt around at the moment it sits around 1/4 to 1/2 is that normal

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats the correct cap and correct temp gauge readings - can go to 2/3 sometimes.

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
a sweet thanks for that.
i ad a rag to open it with. yeah i thought it was bit low on coolent shouldnt have opened it but yeah..
i had only just repleaced a welsh plug.

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
im going to get it flushed next week i would do it my self but water restrictions.

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
I just brought a new radiator 2 core copper and it made a big differnce before that I had put in a new termo 82deg and a new water pump and it made no differnce but now it sits on 80-85 deg while driving with the air con on radiator cost $198

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Was that Ebay or local CHANDLC?