Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio Antenna Type

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
2007 VE SV6 SEDAN

Is the radio antenna the black one on the roof? and is it amplified?

OR

is it integrated into the rear window? and is it amplified?

Thanks.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
The long black on sitting on the roof.

Later model VE (series2) uses the following setup. This information was provided by Ricey (JC Forum Member)

Antenna System

Multi-Band Antenna

The AM/FM radio antenna is located on the roof of the vehicle. The radio antenna is enabled when the radio is turned on. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna via the coax cable. An internal amplifier amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

Diversity Antenna

The rear glass antenna system is comprised of the following: an antenna grid near the top of the rear glass which appears similar to the rear defroster grid, an antenna diversity module, and coax cables to connect the module to the radio. The radio supplies battery voltage to the antenna module via the coax cable. The antenna module amplifies the radio signals from the antenna and transmits them to the radio.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
There does not appear to be a 'diversity antenna' in my MY12 SSV

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The diversity antennas were fitted to calaisv, statesman and caprice models (series 1 models anyway).
For these models, there are two separate antenna connectors, one for the roof mount antenna, and one for the diversity antenna.

Models such as the ssv series 1, have the socket for the diversity antenna, but do not have the wiring on module fitted.
The diversity antenna option is also disabled on these models within the head unit. (but can be easily enabled via the head unit engineering mode)

As for series ii models, I'm unsure what models have what, as there is very little information out there regarding workshop manuals and the like for these models.

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
Oh right.Well i got a black VE amplified + DAB ready antenna. I think its the one which comes out in USA on VEs. Looks the same as the normal black one except amplified.

Although if ur saying the antenna is already amplified. What effect will this have on the antenna I'll be fitting? its a CALEARO antenna.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
The existing external antenna is already amplified from the base, I'm not sure you can actually 'amplify' the antenna, the amplification is of the signal that is received by the antenna, think of the base as a turbo, just pushing what its already being fed through at a stronger rate. A different dB gain in an antenna will make a difference, but the dB does not equal power, so a high dB antenna is not high power. You need to have the correct dB antenna for the situation you are using it for, for example, open plains a 9dB antenna will have a stronger signal further, but will will not be as effective in hilly country, whereas a 3dB antenna is good for reception in hilly areas, but has a more limited distance range. There are 'multi load' antennas that cover both bases, but I have no dea what types of antennas are actually available for the VE.

I am having radio reception issues with my car which is currently being investigated by Holden, they have replaced the radio module, replaced the amplified base and antenna, all to no avail. I have seen a vid taken on a phone of the diagnostics program running where the signal strength can be seen fluctuating up and down all over the place as they are driving, this was after the radio module was replaced which showed them that it was not the problem.

As for your question about what effect the amped antenna will have on an already amped base, well unless you have additional wires to power it, it will only draw its power through the already amplified base, so it can't hurt anything, but I would be very interested to hear what your results are.

I will try to find out how to access the diagnostics program which was being displayed on the iQ screen and post back as it may help others who are having the same trouble.

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
Fitted the Calearo combi DAB antenna today. Connected the power for the antenna to accessory in the boot.Turned radio on. SLIGHT improvement of FM signal.
But when i drived to the end of my driveway i could hear some static on the radio. So i will have to go for a drive and see if the signal is stable. Heres the antenna I'm talking about...

dabonwheels.co.uk : Calearo DAB-FM-AM car aerial

So if the stock VE antenna is amplified via the antenna cable from the head unit.It earths out throught he cable which i removed today with the old antenna.

I've fitted the new one and the earth point is 2 tangs under the antenna which you tighten the nut and it presses up onto the metal to earth out.

So it seems I have just amplified it twice, once from my acc connection and once from the radio head unit.

See how i go when i go for a drive!