Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ramjet OTR on a VX series 2 LS1???????????????

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Ramjet OTR on a VX series 2 LS1???????????????

I just attempted to fit this badboy of a OTR and i have failed terribly. Is it even possible? has anyone else ever tried with the ramjet as it wants to go deep down right against thr grill. As far as i can tell there is no hope of ever getting it down there with the AC condenser in the way and even if i did. the radiator sits way too high and the bonnet would never close. Am I correct in thinking its impossible or am I just unable too and it an be done?
Cheers for any help guys

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Think the ac condenser has to be bent forward or backward I can't remember

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Settle peatal pleanty of people have installed ramjets. Lol!

When I did mine I just had to move some things around. Pull up your ratiator, tilt it back, move the ac condensor if needed then jam the bastard in there. Then connect up your maf pipe last.

Big emphasis on the jamming haha

Oh and take off your grille so you can put the filter on after it's in. It helps with the jamming.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
You need to molest the AC condensor. They slide in much more easily with no molestation on VY-VZ unfortunately. You also need to chop up the fan shroud a bit I think.

That's why they call it a ramjet... just ram it in.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
awesome there is hope:) i read in another forum i had to bash the condensor down. I started bashing the condesner down and all it did was bend the metal now the centre of my condensor is crushed down like 2cms in the middle and probaly 30cms wide as that was the width of the wooden block i was using. I am assuming bashing is not a good idea. I hope i have not wrecked my condensor. anyway so slide and move both the condensor and radiator sounds better then bashing it (should have known better). any advice on sliding and moving both the condensor and radiator. cheers for the help so far gotta love forumns (when they arent telling you to bash things!)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Remind me never to get a ramjet if it requires butchering things.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
SUCCESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many hours of blood sweat and tears. My condenser is a bit out of shape but still working fine. Maff sensor is on (although had to take it off after initial install as the air flow arrow was pointing towards the filter not throttle body). But done and done. now she gets a service and then off to bob towlers for a maff tune should unleash a lot of more ponies as it is running stock tune

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Remind me never to get a ramjet if it requires butchering things.

Not required but it is tempting to start butchering. You don't have to though, just have to muck around a bit.

SUCCESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many hours of blood sweat and tears. My condenser is a bit out of shape but still working fine. Maff sensor is on (although had to take it off after initial install as the air flow arrow was pointing towards the filter not throttle body). But done and done. now she gets a service and then off to bob towlers for a maff tune should unleash a lot of more ponies as it is running stock tune

Glad to hear you got it sorted mate. Bit of a mission hey. Lol

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
You do have to butcher on a VT-VX... the ac condensor sits much further forward than VY/VZ. No hope of getting it in unless you bend the condensor down and or back.

Good idea to wear safety glasses and gloves if you do this, escaping refridgerant can cause freeze burns.

This is why I got a VCM otr instead... even that required some modifying. I ended up going back to a modded stock airbox setup, it works almost as well except in stop start traffic when it heatsoaks... but you can't really flog your car in traffic anyway these days.