Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random Orbital Buffers/Polishers

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting a random orbital buffer/polisher for use when I am polishing the car. Just wondering what you guys think of them, any recommendations on what models etc, and what to look out for when using them. A mate of mine has just bought a Bosch one, and he says that it has made his ute look the best he has ever seen it.

Thanks guys

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
i purchased a cheapy from autobarn and it works a treat

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

They all work about the same (cheap vs expensive) as long as you get the best pads money can buy. A mate of mine got a supercheap one and used it on his black supra. It scratched the **** out of it and he ended up having to get a full cut and polish done by a spray painter. Just a warning that if you get a cheap one replace the pad with a good one.

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
I got the one from supercheap works great
I also purchased extra polishing cloths that fit over the foam bit of the orbital made by kenco there basically the same as the ones you use to polish the car by hand cept for the orbital

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I found the orbitals a waste of time, I get better results using my bare hands. Unless there is a special way of using the orbitals?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i used an orbital to get my camrys paint up to scratch when i baught it, it had began to oxidise (red). no amount of hand work wouldhave done the job the electric polished did.
having said that though, ive only ever hand polished since.
i figure if the duco is ok, hand polish it, if it needs alot of work go the spinner.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, please keep them coming!

Cheers

Harvs82

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
So what polish are all you guys using with the orbitor polishers ? i got a rechargeable orbitor polisher from dick smiths about a year ago it works grouse if you put your hand on it and try and stop it spinnig you have no hope where i've seen some other one's that are crap and you can stop them with your hand.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i brought one from autobarn a few years back goes nice not sure of the brand but i know it's blue i mainly use it because when polishing or waxing as i do it there are tiny bits of polish or wax that don't come off or you may miss some and when the polish or wax builds up on the cloth it's harder to remove from the paint so using the fast spinning motion of the orbital it gets it off a treat with very little effort involved

that's mainly why i like it and i do notice a slight difference in shine than doing it all by hand

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I bought a cheap one for about $30 from Repco.. The thing works fine, I have only one problems..

The polishing cloths keep falling odd. I'm doing my absolute best to tie it on perfectly, but it still keeps bloody coming off..

I'm gonna buy a more high quality pad and give that a shot..