Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random subwoofer popping

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
At random times when played at full tilt i get a sharp ''pop'' sound from my subwoofer. Its only occasionally and when played at high bass loads, mainly with rock music

My setup in

Pionner shallow 10inch 300rms sub behind a seat in a ute
Pionner 8400m mono block amp
Pioneer 3250 dvd headunit

Now, please take into account im jumping on here asking questions without fiddling with any of the settings. My amp is the same as it came from the box, i havnt changed the EQ on my ipod and i havnt played with the sub or EQ on my headunit since the sub has been put in

Are there any other reasons why this popping sound may occur?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Who installed the gear?

Sounds like it could be a loose connection on the amp and / or sub.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It could just be bottoming out, (you did say at full tilt) that might be the noise you are hearing, you might be hearing it easier because the sub is in the cabin.

Personally I don't reccomend running 10's without sub sonic filters because most don't like to play to low. When you feed a bit of volume into a smaller woofer and you come across a really low fq note through out a song, it can be enough to cause the sub to bottom out.

Using a test tone CD will let you find the fq response and abiltiies of the sub. Settings your SS filter (if you had one i don't think you do) and you LPF will let them play within their limits all day long.

Last edited:

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
My amp doesnt have a SS filter, but it does have a LPF with settings from 40hz to 240hz. Where can i purchases a SS filter from? or do i need a amp with it built in?

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
yeah, i can get these from a guy in SA but its from like an old turntable player business so i dunno if they work with modern car amps??

i cheakced connections, it doesnt seem like anythings loose. I stripped back more cover and put more wire in all connections to make it snug, but it still pops. Its not even really when i push it, coz itll start popping, then if i turn it up more it still pops randomly but plays some notes cleanly

i run a sealed box behind my seat in my ute. Its filled with Dacron (i think its called) should i take this out?

talanoatime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec
its clearly a amp "clip" problem..if the amp is in bridge mode this can be common if slightly underpowered, and is basically a "square wave" or electric current getting to the speaker..you could try your hi pass filter with a roll off starting around 50hz, with a gentle slope
while your sub wont produce these freq your amp will.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Dacron just reduces the rear standing waves, and some say it can make the driver act as though it's in a larger enclosure. A 10'' sealed would use a very small enclosure as it is, the dacron used isn't likely to have any effect on it's volume, and if anything depending on how much you have used you could even add more.

But no it dosen't having anything to do with your problem. I'm still putting my money on your amp clipping.

Your LPF isn't going to help you. All your LPF does is stops frequencies above a certain point so the sub isn't playing anything out of it's response range. Your LPF should be set fairly close to your HPF settings on your speakers.

A sub sonic filter will help you get the most out of a smaller driver, but if your sub is happy handling the lows with the amount of power on tap from your amplifier then theres no need for one in this case.

Had you have bought a dual voice coil and you would have had plenty of head room.