Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Raspy noise from V6 when cold

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Maybe not the LPG mixer so much as the IAC air path. Starting at the 38 sec point in the vid https://youtu.be/JNQBHEARW6s?t=38s as the idle speed bottoms out you can hear the IAC start to flow more to pull the revs up. It would be open wider when the engine is cold so that would make it noisier, if that is what it actually is.

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
There's another noise?
Can make out the extractors working and the induction noise.....
Put the intake pipe back on and muffle it, video/audio compression when uploading things distorts it even more.
Well i took another video this morning with the intake on when it was cold: https://youtu.be/fYq8ox8otw4 Listening to the video, that's pretty much how it sounds, dont' think it's distortion :p

I called repco today, a chain/sprocket kit is $205, a gasket kit is $55.

I understand why everyone's telling me to get a new car or at least a new engine, I just copped an earful at work too, but i think if i were to change an engine i might as well change the car, and if a mere saturday's work and $300 has the potential to keep it going for another couple of years i think that's worth a shot.

Maybe not the LPG mixer so much as the IAC air path. Starting at the 38 sec point in the vid https://youtu.be/JNQBHEARW6s?t=38s as the idle speed bottoms out you can hear the IAC start to flow more to pull the revs up. It would be open wider when the engine is cold so that would make it noisier, if that is what it actually is.

I'll be honest i'm not quite sure what "induction noise" is, just the sound of it sucking air? Well i've changed the Mixer about 10 months back (busted diaphram) and tuned it myself, and then tried replacing a bunch of sensors but can't get rid of that hunting/pulsing idle. I guess i'm hoping that a sloppy timing chain might be the cause of that too.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hmmm Id hold of on the cam chain for a bit...have a listen to the vid in the first message here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...93-1997/215537-vs-series-2-engine-rattle.html
that ended being a cam chain noise....
your noise sound more like a air leak which would also explain the hunting..its just to high a freq to be metal on metal...hell my 230k VR sounds way worse :)
get some wd40 and very very very carefully spray it around the area of the noise, if the engine rpm changes thats the area to start looking for an air leak

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its definitely got a high pitch ring to it in the second video, Its very hard to diagnose noise in person let alone on video.

But, it doesnt sound like a broken tensioner, they are a lot more rumbly i guess. It could however be something like the the tensioner being so worn the pad is gone and its metal backing putting tension on the chain, its very high pitched like metal on metal.

If your happy to spend the time pulling aprt the engine by all means go for it, my mates family car was a VN, it made it to 600,000 before the odo stopped, yours is still a spring chicken by comparison! A conrod failure was what eventually brought it to its knees.
Pic for the lols:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea wow watching it again i'm hearing what you guys are talking about, definately sounds like a sucking noise, i didn't even notice that standing in front of it though. It's the grindy noise i'm worried about. So many squeeks and banks and clunks these days it makes it a bit difficult. With the air intake off it really sounded like that grindy noise was coming from the throttle. You're right, it sounds way different to that VS video which sounds clearly like a chain dragging on metal, but with the belt off and the noise still sounding like it's coming from inside the engine i can't see what else it could be other than the tensioner, chain or balance shaft. It HAS been doing it for a long time now so maybe it's like VKSL says, and has worn the pad right off? I'll have a spray with with WD-40 tomorrow though to rule that out, thanks for the tip.

Jxfwsf that looks a damn sight cheaper than repco, i'm in no mad rush, if i go that route (i think i will) mabye ebay's the better option. Harmonic balancer seal, added to the list, cheers

lol VK SL, 600k+ is something i'm dreaming of, what a beast i'm sure they were sad to see it go :p Looks pretty damn clean for 600k too

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
id be spending $300 on a gumtree engine... that dosent have half a million km on it.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Quote.."A conrod failure was what eventually brought it to its knees.
Pic for the lols:"

Stick it on Ebay,"ëasy repair,low K engine". LOL.

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey just a follow up on this one.

I did the tensioner and timing chain last weekend. It took about 8-9 hours over friday-saturday, wasn't the easiest job i've done but i didn't hit any major snags.
It sounds much better now firing it up in the mornings.
I took the gear off the balance shaft while i was in there, there is a little more vibration noticeable now at idle but it's no big deal. I'm not sure how much of the noise was due to the tensioner and how much due to the balance shaft bearings.

end of the day it wasn't too expensive:
New chain and sprockets: $155 posted (ebay)
new chain tensioner: $27 (ebay)
gasket kit $55 (repco)
$240 in total and i'm happy with that.

Here's a pic of the tensioner next to the new plastic one, I was surprised it looked so good.
y8u4ZFV

http://imgur.com/y8u4ZFV

Anyway thanks for the help!