Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle Noise on Cold / First Start of the Day - SV6

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
Hey all, i have a VZ SV6 on 85,000k's... I have only owned this car for 3 weeks now and have noticed a weird noise when i start the car for the first time of the day, it last about 2 - 4 seconds and then stops, if i turn the car of straight away and start it again it doesn't make it, its only on Cold / First start of the day... the noise sounds like something metal is loose / rattling.. also sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine but not 100 percent sure!!!

Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Same issue here (but executive), from other threads, it seems like it's the heatshield which is located inline with the front seats (under the car though obviously). Start the car and stick your head under, you should hear it and it shouldn't sound like it's coming from the engine.

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
Timing chain tensioner. It's gonna blow!!!!!!!

this is also what a few people have told me!!! stretched chain / tensioner gornskies.... but if it was the tensioner wouldn't it be a constant rattle.... not just 2-4 seconds on a morning start... also ive heard of a few people saying that it gets to a point were it will throw a fault code??? when i showed my old man who is decently mechanically minded he said timing chain straight away!!! whats everyones opinions.... i know its not a exhaust shield as its coming from the front of the motor... i was even thinking a bearing in one of the pulleys??? feed back would be great!!!! Thanks!

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Mine has been doing it for years. So don't worry too much.

I believe the tensioners rely on oil pressure to operate correctly. Which is why it happens when cold. Probably bleeding down.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
every VZ I know of (we have 3 in the family, plus various mates) have this issue. Its just oil pressure building from cold start up.

As mentioned we havent had any issues with it. If it kept rattling after the 2 - 4 seconds, then I'd be worried

wattles

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6 04
it'll probably just be the heat shield, when i got my exhaust done i asked them if they could find the noise.. they found it and bent it away abit then it was fixed :D

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the heatshield tends to rattle more then just for 3 or 4 seconds at start up (like when sitting idle in traffic, especially in peak hour) and tends to come from under the front doors then the under the bonnet.

Its still a possiblity though, but going off what the OP has said that sounds more like the tensioner oil pressure thing.

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for your help guys... im not to worried about it now but if it gets any worse ill definitly be taking it to my mechanic!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina S
Hey all, i have a VZ SV6 on 85,000k's... I have only owned this car for 3 weeks now and have noticed a weird noise when i start the car for the first time of the day, it last about 2 - 4 seconds and then stops, if i turn the car of straight away and start it again it doesn't make it, its only on Cold / First start of the day... the noise sounds like something metal is loose / rattling.. also sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine but not 100 percent sure!!!

Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks

My car also has same problem and i am driving it by three years. The time i bought the issue was there and i consult to my father and i came to know this issue maintains with some of the engines. In Morning start up usually complete oil drained out to the oil sump and after starting, some initial cycles head valves sound like they are running dry. So, do not worry keep it going.