Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattle noise

Bluey88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 S2 v6 3.8L VT BERLINA WAGON
Hi all my problem is that when I am driving a rattle occurs as I go over bumps and potholes I cant seem to find the source of it it sounds as if the exhaust is loose and bouncing around but iv replaced all bolts and rubbers that hold the exhaust in place I cant hear it with my window up only while down and on the right side of the car at the front a mechanic told me it was my wheel bearings I have since had these replaced left and right but the rattle still occurs and im starting to loose patients if anyone could give me an idea as to wat could be corseing the rattle it would be much appreciated

Last edited:

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
If it's just over bumps then try find it by shaking the car and pushing down rapidly on the front chassis near radiator, you might replicate it somewhat, if not then check things separately for movement or contact with other parts, check everywhere you can, most likely spots first, could even be a loose bumper, something in the engine bay, or loose suspension parts.

Don't know why people waste money fixing things that aren't confirmed, if you had something fixed under the impression it would solve the issue and it didn't, I wouldn't pay for it, you should get your money back, they can put the old parts back in, don't get ripped off.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
You checked front end bushings? Mainly swaybar linkages?

D

devilly

same problem with mine,i'm going to replace the front struts and swaybar linkages,replacing the engine mounts worked to a point,to test engine mounts is really easy all you have to do is pop the hood with motor off,and push the motor if it moves by itself engine mounts need replacing,when you push the engine the whole front end should move with it.or if you can see any fluid leaks then replace them.good luck

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
mate check your link arm bushers, if it was the wheel bearings it wouldn't rattle it would grind , you have new ones now.
check ya front struts and top strut mount as well as front radius bush , engine mounts are very common and there is a thread on here how to replace takes about 2hr to do it , replace all 3 . also your front brakes the plate that holds them in can rattle if they are loose across the top of calliper. good luck

Bluey88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 S2 v6 3.8L VT BERLINA WAGON
Hi all thanks for all your ideas as for the engine mounts they are somewhat brand new only replaced just last month I have had the caster rods link pins tie rods sway bar and control arms both left and right replaced as well as the corresponding busshers to all these parts I am soon to replace my struts and shocks front and rear with monroe shocks and also installing performance brakes and slotted and drilled discs front and rear hopefully one of these will eliminate the rattle I will get back to you on that ( im not sure but could the rattle be coming from the metal guard surrounding the disc ? )

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Have you tapped on your exhaust firmly to see if it's that? Sometimes the baffle inside a muffler can break which can rattle and squeak depending on how far gone it is.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is it a metallic rattle or a thumping type of rattle? It could be the strut tops that are worn.