Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattles in 2018 ZB Commodore

DanNZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6
Hi team,

I’ve recently bought a 2018 ZB VXR and have just recently found a few aggravating rattles.

A distinct rattle is coming from the door lock that pops up & down on both the passenger side and driver side doors (the passenger side is most annoying), and from the plastic guard in front of the speedo/dash.

Should be covered under the Consumer Guarantees Act in NZ given I bought the car from a dealer, however when asking my normal mechanic they quoted $150.00 for the foreman to come for a drive just to confirm where the rattles are (I’ve told them I know exactly where they are because whenever I touch or hold down on any of the 3 parts, the rattle stops).

Just looking for some advice and to see if there are actually easy ways I can resolve these myself?

Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's a GM product, rattles are part and parcel of the vehicle.

You aren't going to have Mercedes interior quality for GM money.

My VE has had all sorts of interior rattles since new (sunglass holder, plastic squeaks and creaks on rough roads, door cards vibrate a bit on rough roads etc). Same with all my Ford fleet cars from brand new, I'd mention it to dealers during service time and nothing would come of it, my last Focus brand new had an annoying air con vent rattle at 110km/h that you could hear with the radio off, most others I heard did similar things.

Build an interior with cheap materials and your going to get cheap noises.

You aren't going to have any legal recourse for this for interior/trim rattles on a 5 year old car, the parts aren't faulty.

Some people are more sensitive to little interior noises than others etc, I've found most VF's and ZB's I've driven have had interior noises etc to some degree, but most wouldn't notice it unless you actually pointed it out to them.

I've seen people fix interior rattles with some soft felt tape behind the impacted parts which softens the blow of plastic on plastic noise.

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
(I’ve told them I know exactly where they are because whenever I touch or hold down on any of the 3 parts, the rattle stops).
In that case, I'd take off those parts and have a look to see what the culprit is... Maybe it's a loose screw or broken clip...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Annoying rattles are just that .......... annoying rattles that you have to find yourself. Bugger paying somebody to do it.

I had a rattle on top of the VZ Crewman dash, I knew what was causing it, but took me while to work out the fix.
Some stick-on felt in the right places, and relocate the 12V sockets that I had fitted under the cover.
Regularly get rattles under the back seat of the Crewman. Fix ....... pull out all the junk and tools stored there, and repack it it.