Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattling sound from gearbox when turning of ignition

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah mine was about $800. My car has done 135,000

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I get a slight rattle, but its not noticable inside the cabin as you have suggested you hear... just sounds like the engine cutting out to me.

Car has 93,500kms on it..

y-b-jls-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S
I get a slight rattle, but its not noticable inside the cabin as you have suggested you hear... just sounds like the engine cutting out to me.

Car has 93,500kms on it..

Mate I was reading some of your comments on the other thread and all I can say is that I have exactly the same problems with my s pack manual :

----I get the rattling sound when turning of the engine

----The car wont start some times in the hot weather or after I have been driving it for a long time

----The engine makes a cranking noise if its hot and I turn it on

I agree with you when you said that you keep thinking that something is wrong with the car and it just pisses you off but I guess thats what we have to sacrifice to be manual owners. Just one thing, if you or anyone else finds the exact cause of any of those problems please let myself and other manual owners know so that we can get it fixed and drive our cars without having to worry. :D

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Good to see its not just me with these quieries. Puts my mind at rest that this is said to be normal behaviour of the manual transmission. Thanks for ur comments and will let all know if i hear of a solution

B

buzurk

mine gives a slight rattle too on shutdown

99 VT 5 Speed ecotec

kaishiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac Manual.
alrighty, i am very glad to here that i too am not the only one. anytime when i turn the car off it does it. i hope it goes away through time but fat chance. i guess by the looks of it it must be the flywheel? don't know what it is as i am clue less when it comes to cars. but thanks neways

y-b-jls-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S
alrighty, i am very glad to here that i too am not the only one. anytime when i turn the car off it does it. i hope it goes away through time but fat chance. i guess by the looks of it it must be the flywheel? don't know what it is as i am clue less when it comes to cars. but thanks neways

Mate when I first started the thread I thought I was the only one getting that noise but it seems alot of people have this issue with their manual ecotecs.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I don't think its just gonna go away, but i just engage the clutch when shutting off engine and it stops it

y-b-jls-4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S
I don't think its just gonna go away, but i just engage the clutch when shutting off engine and it stops it

I just engaged the clutch before I shut the car of and the rattle was still there but it minimized it a little.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Pretty much, that rattle... depending on the severity, means your flywheel is on the way out...

Keeping in mind that ive been driving around for the last 6months with this rattle, slamming the gears hard and overal not exactly babying my baby...lol

BUT, what this does mean is that if the fly is on the way out its gonna wear out the clutch at a faster rate.

When my flywheel finally dies (or a few km before is dies) im NOT gonna put in a POS holden geniune kit for $1000 JUST PARTS! Im gonna upgrade the flywheel to a rigid one and the clutch to a HD one with 30% more clamp force with an exedy HD kit... I can get it for about 1300, rrp is about 1900 but u can bargain them down.

Its gonna be abit louder and abit rougher on the changes from what i've heard but it will grip like nuffin else and LAST!

CHeers,

Raf