Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattling timing chain..( no Rat jokes please)

R

rattattack1313

hi there all.... my timing chain seems to be making a bit of a racket...can anyone tellme, do I tighten it, or replace it???? and how do I do this please??? cheers....

F

fallen

needs replacement man, unless the tensioner has **** itself but thats unlikely.
the front timing cover needs to be taken off to do this, if your not mechaniacally minded get a pro to do it..

B

BagEmUp

yeh u def need to get it replaced..........get a double row chain alot more durable.........best leave it to a mechanic alot of mucking around.

R

rattattack1313

timing chain

thanx blokes....... see how I go ..(just need $$$$).... appreciate it muchly...

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I replaced mine and the noise persisted...thats chain and gears .Someone told me later that the cam bearing surfaces in the block weren't line bored properly and that is what the noise is but in hindsight I have suspiction about the balance shaft gear backlash being excessive.I have heard this noise on cars with only 60k on the clock.
If you go to a double row chain you have to get rid of the balance shaft as there is no room inside the timing cover to run both and I'm not sure what running without a balance shaft does.

R

rattattack1313

rattling..

I saw Matthew, the bloke VB_Dan got his car from...experienced mechanic... says its my harmonic balancer( big black thingie at the bottom /front of motor)......more $$$$..... :cry:

B

BagEmUp

So u changed the chain already?????? the harmonic balancer is cheaper b happy it aint the chain!

R

rattattack1313

balancer...

no mate...too broke right now to get a new harmonic balancer... but as soon as I can....Matthew said it was definitely not the chain,so I havent changed it...was wondering tho...there is a perfectly good one on the front of the blown up motor from me son, VN_Dan's car...no chance I couls rip that one off, and stick it in mine, do you know please???cheers mate...

piniin

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 vn berlina s pack
g'day, just a thought. I've just changed the timing cover on mine and thought I'd check out the rattle. Turned out that the chain tensioner on series1 is held in place by 2 pins on the tensioner spring, the spring had popped out and the lot had dropped onto the top of the sump. Cleaned it up, stuck it on, no prob's bob, not a single rattle since, hope this helps