Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattly Sub

V

VTCommo98

Hi Everyone,
I just put a Pioneer 12" in my VT commodore and it sits facing the back, jammed in underneath that bar in the back of the boot (Fits like a glove) right in the middle of the car.

However when I play certain songs it rattle like a bitch, I'm thinking it's the numberplate or maybe the board it's sitting on (Where below is the spare wheel.

Can I get some suggestions on how to reduce the rattling.

Thanks!

Loz

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The majority of the rattling will be coming from the numberplate. take the screws out and put a strip of rubber along the top and bottom and then screw the plate back in TIGHT that should kill most of the rattle. Some of the other rattling will be coming from the boot skin. Kinda hard to kill and sometimes expensive. Do what I suggested with the plate and then see how you are about it.

V

VTCommo98

I figured as much, I noticed that my number plate is only screwed in at the top, and at the bottom it has 2 screws but they seem to be fake screws. I think it's because there aren't holes in my boot garnish for the bottom 2 screws, I'll investigate and I might use a bit of blue-tak or something to stick the plate down good.

Also do you reckon it could at all be the floor of the boot? Because it seems to be made of pretty shitty timber.

Thanks

Loz

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Possibily, but highly unlikely. The carpet usually does a pretty good job of keeping that quiet.

Dexn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
VTCommo98 said:
I figured as much, I noticed that my number plate is only screwed in at the top, and at the bottom it has 2 screws but they seem to be fake screws. I think it's because there aren't holes in my boot garnish for the bottom 2 screws, I'll investigate and I might use a bit of blue-tak or something to stick the plate down good...

I'd highly recommend some foam double-sided tape instead of blue-tak. I put some around the sides of the plate and a little in the middle then just put the top screws back in (slimline plate, didn't want to drill new holes for the bottom of it) and my 12" sub can't move it now ;-)). Actually, I don't think you'd even need the screws with DS tape lol.

bMcgrath84

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman, vn ss
subs cause rattle

if you don't like the rattle take the sub out :b:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
take the board out and see if it stops, do the number plate - even screwed in tight it can rattle, i have thick ds tape keeping it a few mm from the car (still screwed on though) and it works. check spare wheel, jack etc. anything can rattle back there just be systematic and try a few different things.

M

mattjones757

mate sorry to tell u but its a commodore!! they all rattle it jus tha way it iz.

V

VTCommo98

well I worked out what all the rattling was about, the numberplate was the most noise,

so i unscrewed it, got a piece of rubber, and put it between the car and the plate, i also removed the plastic covers i had on the plate.

The major noise however was the parcel shelf vibrating on the metal bracket which you can see from the boot. To do that was a 15 min job where I yanked out the parcel shelf and put rubber the same as the number plate in between the two.

that fixed it perfectly, also, as i had jammed my sub underneath that metal bar on the top of the boot, I took it out from there and left it more towards the back of the car sitting in the middle of the boot, and I put some provvisional stops on all 4 sides to stop it from sliding around, that also removed a bit of noise.

But yeh commodores are pretty loud ****ers, the back window makes a bit of noise too.

I found that the best car for big subs are those 318i Beamers, a mate of mine has one and he is running dual 12" cadence subs and it sounds sweet ass, the only rattling is pure base from the sub.

But then again old shitty beamers suck balls, and I'd rather stick with my noisy commodore