Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rb20, Rb25, Rb26, Rb30..... ?

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Ok the title isn't terribly suggestive, but I was wondering if you kind folks here could educated me on the various 'RB' motors.

Obviously, driving an 88 VL Commodore, I'd have an RB30 motor, and yes I also realise that the engines in the VL's are Nissan. I'm assuming an RB30 motor is 3.0L? in this case, are the RB motors numbered to their respective capacities/displacement? I think from what I know, my engine, unmodified, would be SOHC and either two or four valves per cyl? yes, no?

I've seen a few things on this site here, like people putting RB26 heads on a RB30 motor, or people even converting their VL's to a full blown RB26 DETT and whatnot.. RB25, RB26? Don't tell me they have a difference of 100cc? Are they really that simular? or are they very different engines?

Yeah, I would like to learn a little more about all the respective inline-6 engines which are associated with VL/Nissan..

Cheers.:w00t: :w00t:

I

INJSLE

rb20 = 2L R32
rb25 = 2.5L R32
rb26 = 2.6L R33
rb30 = 3L VL & R31

thats all i know and i think im right. as for ur car it has 4 valves per cylinder

H

HeadKracker

just to simplify it a little......

RB = denotes engine series ie. RB=6 cyl, SR & FJ=4 cyl
26 = denoted engine capacity ie. RB26=2.6 litre 6 cyl.
D = denotes dual OHC ie. RB26D=2.6 litre 6 cyl twin OHC....no 'D' means single OHC
E = denotes electronic fuel injection.....no 'E', no injection
T = single turbo
TT = twin turbo...no 'T' or 'TT', no factory turbo/s

eg. RB26DETT, RB20DET, SR20DET...blah, blah, blah

the toyota engine codes are a little harder to get a grip on

H

HeadKracker

INJSLE said:
rb20 = 2L R32
rb25 = 2.5L R32
rb26 = 2.6L R33
rb30 = 3L VL & R31

thats all i know and i think im right. as for ur car it has 4 valves per cylinder

the RB26 was also available R32 through R34 as far as i know....
released as the RB26DETT 'neo' in the R34 GT-R

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
Rb's

No your Rb30 has 2-valves per cylinder, although the pistons do have the recesses ready for 4.
The Neo engine in the R34 is an Rb25det, not an Rb26, although its performance data shows the same output as the Rb26dett.
The Rb26dett has been around since the R32's.(Godzilla)
Unfortunately there are also some dreadful imports with woeful engines. Saw an R33 auto the other day with an Rb20e. Imagine that, an auto Skyline with 93Kw at the flywheel. You even can buy a Skyline with a Ca18.(Taxi Spec)
There are some good buys though, like a GT4. This is sometimes called the poor man's GTR as it has the ATTESSA all wheel drive, ABS, HICAS, the list goes on.
Nat. asp. cars come with 4-stud wheels and usually smaller brakes when compared to a turbo version.
You may have guessed I love my Lines.

4PLAYN

Reaction score
thats a good question,

depends on what your looking for i guess.

Ok, now with a nissan engine, the RB:part is the engine type 20:is the capacity D:means its twin cam E:is its fuel inected T:is its turbo

RB20DET: there cheap to buy second hand, are usually very reliable and are easily upgradeable. With a few mods to the RB20DET you would be looking at around 160KW ATW.
Problem is that they lack a bit of low down torque and if your putting a larger turbo on the engine the turbo can become very laggy low in the RPM rev range. If driven sensibly they can use stuff all fuel. Most RB20's will have quite a few kays on them by now too as there quite an old engine but in my opinion if there well looked after they will last for ages... Plus they sound awesome and can rev easily to 8000rpm!

RB25DET: also another really good engine, in my opinion not as reliable as the RB20, maybe due to the higher static compression ratio which makes them more prone to pinging. With a few simple bolt on mods you would be getting close to 180KW - 200KW ATW too.
There quite a bit more expensive to purchase in complete form then the RB20 but they dont turn into lag beasts as easy as the RB20's with a larger turbo. Plus there not as old as the RB20's so finding a low kay one shouldnt be too hard. They sound good too and there is a huge range of aftermarket parts for them.

RB26DETT: Great engine, make loads of power with little mods at all, probably about 200KW to 250KW ATW with all the basic mods.
They have been released in all the R32-3-4 GTR's since 1989 which is testament to their reliability. They make quite a bit more torque than any of RB20-25 engines and are well know for their reliability. However they big $$$ to buy and very expensive to repair if something goes wrong.

RB30ET: Good engine, quite cheap to by a complete engine too, however there only single cam and are quite a old engine now so it might be hard to find one in good condition. You could look at buying a RB30E engine and buying all the bits to make it a turbo engine which would be maybe a cheaper option. With all the usual mods you would be looking at around 160 -180KW ATW.

RB30DET: These engines are a mix of engines, they have a RB25DET head bolted onto a RB30E/T bottom end. This raises the capacity of the engine to 3.0lt but has the benefit of the twin cam RB25DE/T head. They make loads of torque and really need a largish turbo to make the most of them. Cost would be a factor too as you would need to find a RB25 head and RB30 bottom end and do all the work to make it work.

Have you though about any other engines like, the SR20DET, CA18DET, 1GGTE or even a 1JzGTE lol :p

And by usual mods i mean things like: Intercooler, Pod filter, exaust, fuel pump, boost controller, and maybe a ECU re-map.

Hope this helps ...

G

Grantis1976

stoko vh seems to have a grip on it all ! quite a bit to remember, but easier than toyota and others.

I had planned to install a lightly refreashened VG30DETT into my VL wagon.

YES, more letters and ****. These are the V6 nissan engines, this one particular was a 3.0L/twincam/efi/twinturbo ! Barstard dont fit without suspension mods.

So, now going the RB 30 DET. Picked up a spare rb30 from a commy being wreaked for $150 ! This way, I can build hot motor, and still get to work !
Have not got the RB 25 head yet, but working on it !

If you opt for something like this, becareful you dont end up with the VVT engine/head, as it wont work. !!!!

Good Luck with whatever you build, and have fun !!!