Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-useable oil filters on V6

dagsy

Reaction score
Have just been flicking through the "rocket ind" catalogue again and found the "System 1" reusable engine oil filters.
there is one to suit our V6's that use Z154 filters, our 98 VT v6.
has anyone tried one of these, or have any thoughts
cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the system one oil filters use a stainless steel mesh screen. it's quiet simple to open and clean. if i get time i'll take some pics of mine disassembled. it only filters to 60microns from memory but it filters 100% ofthe oil at cold startup where as with normal filters apparently oil goes through the bypass straight through the engine when it needs clean oil the most. the idea behind the reusable filter is to reduce the amount of waste going into rubbish dumps etc. used in conjuction with the filtermag (very strong rare earth magnets fitted around the oil filter) i recon it would be a good proposition

dagsy

Reaction score
i wouldn't think i would make any more mess then when i remove/replace a normal filter. as for price, how much more exy is a k&n filter than a normal one and we all have got one of them...
in the catalogue it shows the replacement filters down to 35 microns which isn't to bad.
it will be a $ based decision, but then a kn filter is $20-30 every 5000km

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i wouldn't think i would make any more mess then when i remove/replace a normal filter. as for price, how much more exy is a k&n filter than a normal one and we all have got one of them...
in the catalogue it shows the replacement filters down to 35 microns which isn't to bad.
it will be a $ based decision, but then a kn filter is $20-30 every 5000km

K&N or SYSTEM 1, the k&n would be the same as replacing your standard filter. with the system 1 filter you remove it, strip the filter and clean it out, blow out the mesh bit and put it back in. simple, nothing to put in the rubbish etc. just oil to recycle

3800VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX V6
Where do you get the reuseable one?

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Sounds interesting where can you buy them from:)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
try rocket industries or VPW

dagsy

Reaction score
I found them in the 2007 Rocket Industries catalogue. Haven't got a price yet, but I would think they will be around the $100-150 mark.