Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Real Wheel Problems

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
Hi...I own a commodore VX 2001-- I have got a problem with my rear Wheel..
While i am driving at low or high speed I can hear a Scraping noise from both rear wheels...
Its more like a paper robbing on to fabric noise..
Also when I a m turning both rear wheels make squeaking noise. :bang: :bang: This just happened after I serviced the car at Holden service centre....
They told me hand break shoe needed adjustment. they charge me $730.. and the problem still exists :ranting: .It seems they have no idea.. all they do is charge money for no reason...

I have seen similar problem in Ford and Holdens new and old models...and I do get different idea and comments from different mechanics... with no result at all.
Does any one know what the problem is….This is getting really frustrating?!!!
:hit: :bang: :ranting:

(btw) I have got 17" HSV gold alloywheels... with stock rotars and pads etc....

Last edited:

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
You got ripped off mate. To adjust the handbrake underneath the car consists of adjusting a couple of nuts to release the tention of the cable to your rear disc brakes. If a mechanic did this for you he should charge between $10-20 dollars the most. I would see them and demand your money back since they stuffed it up in the first place.Good luck.

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Mate,

If you get stuffed around by them, likely, start off by writing a letter to the Dealer Principle. I'd also cc Holden themselves. Tell them what has happened and that it reflects very poorly on 'their' service centres to do things like this.

Good Luck with it! :)

Redfox

Reaction score
Aryashahin said:
Hi...I own a commodore VX 2001-- I have got a problem with my rear Wheel..
While i am driving at low or high speed I can hear a Scraping noise from both rear wheels...
Its more like a paper robbing on to fabric noise..
Also when I a m turning both rear wheels make squeaking noise. :bang: :bang: This just happened after I serviced the car at Holden service centre....
They told me hand break shoe needed adjustment. they charge me $730.. and the problem still exists :ranting: .It seems they have no idea.. all they do is charge money for no reason...

I have seen similar problem in Ford and Holdens new and old models...and I do get different idea and comments from different mechanics... with no result at all.
Does any one know what the problem is….This is getting really frustrating?!!!
:hit: :bang: :ranting:

(btw) I have got 17" HSV gold alloywheels... with stock rotars and pads etc....
Mate, $730 for a handbrake adjustment is ridiculous! Surely the $730 wasn't just for the handbrake adjustment right? My Holden dealer service centre adjusted my handbrake for no charge. And it's very easy for them to do too.

The scraping noise you are hearing from the rear whilst driving at low speeds is probably because you have slightly warped discs. This is a common problem with VT-onwards commodore rear disks. There are two things you can do to fix it. Either get brand new aftermarket discs that are less prone to warpage (i think the vented PBR ones are good) or even the vented HSV ones. Otherwise, take it to your local brake and suspension place and get them to take the discs off and machine them. It should only cost you about $40 for both rear discs to be machined. I strongly suggest that you do not take it to Holden to do it, because clearly they are overcharging you.

The squeaking noise may be because of the handbrake adjustment. I had that problem after mine was adjusted. As soon as I took off the handbrake, it would squeak at low speeds for about the first minute or so. Take it back to holden and insist that they fix it free of charge.

Oh, and if that $730 was really just for the handbrake, make sure you get your money back. If you don't, definitely write in to Holden and maybe even speak to Department of Fair Trading.

Good luck!