Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear 6x9 speakers

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey guys, no doubt this topic has been touched on before but I've searched and I can't find anything.

Ok I've got a VR commodore and I've picked up some 6x9 speakers for the rear.

In the past I had a FE LTD that I swaped out the factory clarion speakers for some newer 6x9 clarion speakers and used some plastic speaker spacers... But it sounded like crap and have since learned that was problary a combination of things but mainly the plastic spacers. So this time I plan to use MDF spacers.

I've been reading u can improve the sound quality and the depth of the bass by ensuring the MDF spacers are firmly mounted to the parcel shelf and there is no air leaks around the top or bottom on the spacer.

From what I've noticed the fabric parcel shelf cover floats above the actial metal section of the parcel shelf. From a quick eyeball it's a good 15mm higher...

My question is... How would I do that on a my VR?

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
One thought I had.....

Mount a 15mm 6x9 MDF spacer under the fabric part of the parcel shelf to make a solid air tight mounting surface. Then mount a 25mm spacer on top of the fabric section to raise the speaker for clearance issues.

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I did have the thought of mounting a 40mm 6x9 speaker spacer directly to the metal parcel shelf and cut out the hard fabric cover to suit.... But I'm not really confident I can cut the fabric cover neatly enough to look good

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Thats probably why most people just go some quality splits in the front and a sub in the back. Some may dissagree but most 6x9 speakers don't sound that great they are a compromise.

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I guess it comes down to best bang for buck.

For me I managed to pick some brand new, old stock Sony XS-f69g3 speakers for $30....
And $30 for 50w rms/220w peak speakers I was stoked